Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talked to Anthony today at Greedspeed... according to him, all cars manufactured by VW during the 2001 (including facelift models) model year are prone to early rear brake failure, and that it doesn't matter what brakes I put on my car, they won't last over 12-16k miles (for the rears). He also said that APR, GIAC, and Wett suck, and Neuspeed is the best and most agressive chip out there :roll:. And all you guys that praise those chip companies? You get paid to come to the forums and post about your experiances and make it sound good... :weirdo:

Needless to say the only thing I can think of getting from them anytime soon is the Neuspeed chip (I was planning on it anyway, and it's cheaper than going direct... so whatever). Anyway I just though I would post it up... and find out what you guys think about the brake thing...

He also told me that Zimmerman crossdrilled rotors are good rotors and will never crack (though they are not forged). I don't know what to believe from him and what to discredit :roll:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
For some reason its hard to believe about the rear brakes, of course all the other companies suck, cause Neuspeed is what Anthony sells. I liked his dad more than Anthony....I got to ride in their blue a6 that was in eurotuner w/ 20's a few months back - Eurotuner lies: it rubs like HELL!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I liked scientific and fact based explanation, regarding chips, from Greedspeed.I bet that Neuspeed will be delighted when they find out what kind of technical vocabulary Greedspeed uses to compare Neuspeed products with competition. :thumbup:

·
0 Posts
sas

As a paid spokesman for G.I.A.C let me be the first to say that anthony is craptastickly wrong, and also i would like my garrett checks signed out to cash!

"THE CHIP YOU LIKE BEST IS THE BEST CHIP YOU CAN GET!"

My boy has an 02 and he has at least 12k miles or more on his, Which have not been changed since he last year, He swapped to crossed drilled only for the stopping power.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
As far as the brakes go, I have 19K on my 2001.5 passat and have not had "rear brake failure". I have recently felt how much of the pad is left and I think I have at least 50% left.

I heard neuspeed is coming out with some better K04 programming. If you talk to him again, ask him about this.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had a similar conversation with Anthonys' Dad.. At the time, I already had an APR chip, but was there to check out the stuff they had available for the passat. He told me the neuspeed chip was just as good or better than the others.. (I couldnt bare to start an argument with him, but I know the expression on my face must have been priceless...hehe :roll: :crazy: :shock: )

P.S. I do enjoy the monthy checks from APR and Haliburton (for supporting Bush) :roll: :roll: :roll: :crazy: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D

You guys are funny... I didn't believe half the stuff he told me... my first set of rear brakes lasted until 23k, and my second set lasted until 13k, I am going with Metal masters now because they are supposed to last much longer than stock (though anthony says no). He was sitting there doing absolutly nothing, and I asked him if he could reprogram my tip to sport mode... and he asked for 65 dollars :nervous: :weirdo:

Some people just don't feel like doing favors :roll:.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Anthony is quite a decent guy. I had my wife's NB chipped there, and he's quite a diligent worker. Greedspeed is a stone's throw from Neuspeed, so of course that what he's going to say....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D.Passat00 said:
heh... for $6 more, you can buy a vag-com and program it yourself! :eek:h:
It's funny... I mentioned that, but he proceded to contradict me in saying I was wrong... and I would have to pay 300 dollars for a vag com, when I mentioned a specific site, he told me they sucked, and it wouldn't work. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, since I don't want to spend another 40 dollars to go direct to neuspeed for a chip though, thats where I will probably go. My business ends there though... I can't believe he contradicted me as if I was some soccer mom that didn't even know what tire pressure to use :roll:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
D.Passat00 said:
heh... for $6 more, you can buy a vag-com and program it yourself! :eek:h:
It's funny... I mentioned that, but he proceded to contradict me in saying I was wrong... and I would have to pay 300 dollars for a vag com, when I mentioned a specific site, he told me they sucked, and it wouldn't work. :crazy:
really? worked fine car. :)

seems like i won't be bringing my business to them. i'm shooting for either the APR or the GIAC + tip chip. 8)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I would like to get... but I cannot have my car dead for 3 days... the turn around doesn't work, it is my only car, therefore I need it every day. It is also substancially more expensive for those chips.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
That's what I would like to get... but I cannot have my car dead for 3 days... the turn around doesn't work, it is my only car, therefore I need it every day. It is also substancially more expensive for those chips.
well, i'd drive down to their dealers. of course, they're all in OC :(

and, expensive, yes, but they do offer a socket (not sure if both, but one does), which would be ideal so i can swap to the stock chip when i bring it into the dealer, plus it's easier to sell in case you have to sell your car stock.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I purchased my chip from Greedspeed and a dude there tried to convince me that adding the neuspeed HUGE front anti-roll bar would help my car get better traction in a straightline...ehhh....what? Very nice people and a great deal on neuspeed chip...but I'd stay away from their suspension tuning advice. Also, my 2001 needed new rear brake pads at 70k miles...and its 80k now and I'm still riding on the original rotors...what kind of brake failure?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't know about brake failure in the rear, but my original pad is still going after 40K miles, and I drive aggressively at times.

As for the front, I got Porsche Boxter calipers and ECS 12.3 drilled and slotted floating discs. They are wonderful! :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts