Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone's car do this also? I drove down the road to the gas station which is about 5 miles down the road and I pull in and was sitting in my car while it was running for about 5 minutes with it in park. When I put it back in drive and started to move, I glanced up and looked through my mirror to see a cloud of gray smoke from my exhaust :shock: :nervous: What is the matter with it :???:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You and your car smokin stoogies? :crazy:

It could be a bad gasket somewhere! Was it cold out side, sometimes when a car starts in the cold you will see white smoke out the back end for a short time, but you said grey smoke, the only thing I can think of is a gasket somewere! But that is a guess. :thumbup:

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Grey? Black is bad... that's oil.. but grey? I have no idea what that is... probably oil as well...
How many miles do you have...? :roll:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think when the dealer over filled the oil could be a cause? I had them redo it about a month ago though and put it to the correct level

·
Registered
222 Posts
Something similar happened to me a month ago.
A vaccuum hose got disconnected. I reattached it and started the car and I saw smoke from my exhaust.
I thought it was in rich condition, so left the ignition in ON for 3 minutes to readdapt, and didn't see smoke anymore.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not do this every time. The last time it did this was in winter and I didnt let it warm up like the manual says you are not suppose to and I just put it in reverse and pulled out. This time when i did it, it was 91 degrees outside. I have 41k on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
is ur CEL light on?

and while at the gas station, you never turned off the car right?.....

outside temp was 91 degrees.....
41k miles.....

just MAYBE :roll: the smoke was a moving cloud that another car had puffed up, and well, when a motor is cold, it tends to puff a small amount grey(very light) smoke normally at lower rpm's.

i always let my car warm up a bit in the mornings, usually till it get to the second bar in the temp gauge. to get the fluids warmed up and let the pistons expand a little bit, no to mention to let the oil flow and fill any empty(oil free) spots there might be.

just for safety. i learned a long time ago that it was good to let ur car warm up, and never been told or heard otherwise.....hhhmmmmmm........ :crazy: ......

im no saying the manual is wrong, but personally, i wouldnt take my chances.
i work on my own cars, and NEVER had any internals fail. and i drive hard!! and i believe the warmup is one (of many) reasons why.

my .02cents

ALfredo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.