Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 1.8t, and it's maroon with black plastic bottom pieces, and has a horizontal graphic running front to back... It's a long thin tan line, and I don't think I like it. Should I remove it? Is it easy?

Also, what kind of reside cleaner would you recommend to clear the residue of the dealer's plastic badge?

Thanks!!!

:thumbup:

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Something to consider in removing your pinstriping ...

It's been on that car for 8 years. Eight years of sunshine, wind, rain and car washes. If you get it off, will the paint underneath look different than the rest of the car?

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL im the same i have a Dark Green B5 with silver criss cross pin stripe but traubenberg is right i dont wanna take it off and have dif couloured paint underneath!! Maybe the Pinstripes make it faster...yea thats right they must do theres no other reason to have them!!! :eek:)

·
Registered
846 Posts
just my experience but, I had a Ford explorer that was a 2001 and I just sold it in Febuary. It had three tan stripes down the side and on the tailgate. I took the stripes off, used 3M adhesive remover and goo gone to get the residue off and the paint looked fine. Just my experience.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
But would you rather have the ugly striping or a strip of paint that is kind of darker and you probalby won't notice it in most lighting? I'm sure a good buff and polish by a pro would bring the luster of the paint pretty close to what's under the striping. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I took the pinstriping off a '98 light green Passat I bought last year ... took 2-3 hours of scraping the car with two old credit cards (they worked GREAT) and goo gone and a few rags and paper towels... oh my gosh the car looks 500x better without the stupid stripe. You can see the pinstripe "ghost" if you look, but it isn't noticable. I'd recommend taking it off - even if there is a ghost there, it will look better than actual pinstriping!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts