Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

461 - 480 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
check back through some of my posts, as well as brian's in the first few pages as we have a whole ton of custom settings for the map side of things - make sure you backup any files before modifying/using ours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Going on 2 years with no problems on my unit. pretty impressed. I do have a question, has anyone tried to install Eurepean maps on the as-w7? I just found out I'm moving to Germany for 2 years and would like to install igo european maps if possible. I assume I'd download a torrent and somehow copy it to a new SD Card (with all the sys files the same as my current minus the map)? Any tech savy guys have a recommendation?

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's probably better if I don't comment and/or lead you in a specific direction on how to acquire the european maps here ;)

That being said, should you acquire maps for europe, the process is super simple - as long as you have the correct files... you'll want iGo R3 maps, navteq or teleatlas or whatever. These will be fbl, fsp and/or fsp files. You'll also want the poi files (points of interest). You can also opt for building and dem files (3dl/3dc and dem, respectively). Typically, all this stuff is packed up together so you probably won't have to "hunt" for multiple things.

There's a couple of ways to do this then. BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, BACKUP THE CONTENTS OF THE ENTIRE SD CARD.

---------First way assumes your SD card is big enough for NA and EU maps---------
copy above files to SDCARD/iGO8/content/*foldername

the files can sit along side NA maps without issue, folders are named map/dem/building/poi as needed
---------

---------Second way assumes you want to ditch NA files first---------
backup your card "content" folder to somewhere (usb stick, computer hard drive...)
trash files in mpa/dem/building/....
copy above files to their respective folders
---------

·
Registered
426 Posts
It is interesting that you mention TTS. When I had it on non TTS mode, I did not get the garbling. The problem seems to mainly occur in TTS mode. I will take the car to an independent VW shop, not the dealer.
these units aren't great on TTS, there are some tweaks to the config file to allocate memory so that TTS works, but it's not perfect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's probably better if I don't comment and/or lead you in a specific direction on how to acquire the european maps here ;)

That being said, should you acquire maps for europe, the process is super simple - as long as you have the correct files... you'll want iGo R3 maps, navteq or teleatlas or whatever. These will be fbl, fsp and/or fsp files. You'll also want the poi files (points of interest). You can also opt for building and dem files (3dl/3dc and dem, respectively). Typically, all this stuff is packed up together so you probably won't have to "hunt" for multiple things.

There's a couple of ways to do this then. BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, BACKUP THE CONTENTS OF THE ENTIRE SD CARD.

---------First way assumes your SD card is big enough for NA and EU maps---------
copy above files to SDCARD/iGO8/content/*foldername

the files can sit along side NA maps without issue, folders are named map/dem/building/poi as needed
---------

---------Second way assumes you want to ditch NA files first---------
backup your card "content" folder to somewhere (usb stick, computer hard drive...)
trash files in mpa/dem/building/....
copy above files to their respective folders
---------
Thanks great stuff! Unfortunately I dont have access to my car right now (deployed in the 'stan) but will plan on doing the update as soon as I get back. I have the original SD Card as well as a 32MB SD card that I used when I did some menu updates when it was new. Will that be large enough to hold both maps? Again thanks for the info, might be begging for help at a later point.

JR

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm going to assume you mean 32GB and not 32MB - that's way more than enough. The NA maps are about 2GB, can't imagine the EU maps are much more/less than that so with the other files, you're looking at a need of about 4.5 for just NA or just EU, or about 6.5GB for both at the same time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm trying to cut a deal on a 2011 diesel touareg at the moment so I might just be looking to unload mine - will keep you posted.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just saw over at vortex that you mentioned you wanted to put the radio in a 2001 jetta - the dash opening is different on those (not rounded corners, nor different width at top/bottom) so these units will not fit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
I think that comes down to options, some have others, some don't. this thread was really dedicated to the A-sure, but some of the recent people have gone with other brands. I'm still perfectly happy with my A-sure unit that I've had for years now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gurus,

Two questions:

1. Has anyone had any success getting the A-Sure to load contacts from an Android device?

2. Does the unit provide talking caller ID for incoming calls? My current handsfree device will recite the name if the incoming number is tied to an address in the contacts list (hence question 1), and if it is not in the contacts, it will recite the number itself. What does this unit do?

3. If the answer to nr2 is "no", is anyone familiar with a comparable unit that does?

TIA
GG

·
Registered
426 Posts
My older version device does not handle contacts from my iphone at all - only displays the incoming/outgoing number - no name, certainly no spoken names.

·
Registered
426 Posts
looks like it's just an updated version of the one in this thread - more memory, faster processor, different skin on the UI - don't be fooled by the "1080p" claims - the screen is still 800*480... nothing wrong with that, just misleading.

looks like it's plug-and-play, just like the device in this thread... picture shows it comes with CAN-Bus adapter and everything

461 - 480 of 495 Posts