Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

441 - 460 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
still going strong here as well, after a failed attempt at thinking a Clarion NX501 was an "upgrade", I've gone back to my A-Sure with the addition of steering wheel buttons (swapped wheel) as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How do they respond in the cold weather? it can get pretty cold here in Nebraska.. I worry about that aspect.
I see a Utah location and a PA location, so I assume it is responding well?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't say that I've had any cold-related issues. If you read through the first few pages of this thread, you'll see that I had some early-on issues with visual glitches and artifacts - I don't think it was weather related. My car is in a garage at night but sits out all day throughout the winter and I don't recall ever having an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a couple of questions about the unit since i will be buying one in the coming week. I have a Seat Leon MY2011 and it has 8 speakers (If i am not mistaken 4 tweeters next to the door handle and 4 woofers on the lower door trim?) On the A-sure page in the description of the can bus cable its says that there are a total of 4 connections (Front right +ve -ve,rear right +ve -ve, and so on). If you have the same arrangement of speakers in your cars (at the very least you should have 6 speakers 4 in the front and two in the rear) would you mind telling me if sound comes out off all of them? Finally the system that i have in my car is the RCD310, in your cars how is sound compared to the previous source? Or if you had the rcd510 a comparison would be perfect in the sound department. Thank you very much this thread is perfect!

·
Registered
426 Posts
you'll get sound out of all 8 speakers - I do. Sound quality is discussed in here back in the first few pages - it's not earth-shatteringly good, but it's not terrible either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Compared to your previous source would you say it is close (by the way wha source did you have?)? Is it lacking in bass, or clarity, or is there more distortion as you turn up the volume? Sorry but i just need to be sure before i part with the money and your advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a premium 7 radio in my wagon and I would say the overall quality is a bit lower - definitely lacking in bass, but not terribly so. I would rate the audio as "acceptable" based on name-brand head units (pioneer, clarion...) being "good".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning. Does any one of you use the equalizer on your units and if so which one? (Bare in mind that i am bit more inclined towards bass) I have also read on other units, like the WD6050, that once the equalizer is engaged various "artifacts", like hissing, intrude on the sound output of the unit, making it essentially a useless function. Do these units have anything similar? Finally can anyone outline the basic weaknesses of the units (if there is information on the latter units after 2011 it would awesome). Sorry for the questions and thank you very much.

p.s. Is it completely plug and play? Specifically when the car shuts down does the unit also shut down, or does it have a seperate +12v line that needs to be connected to the cigarette lighter or a +12v line in the fuse box?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just ordered A-Sure's latest model the AS-W7 B6. After shipping to the US it comes to around $376. I wanted to get it with their wireless camera, but unfortunately, the form factor of the camera seems to be different from the two licence plate lights for my 2008 Passat wagon (US). I will keep you all informed about how the installation goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my unit. Looks great, except for the fact that there are zero instructions! One question I have is about the fakra connector. My 2008 B6 has a single connector, but the a-sure unit came with a double connector. How do I connect a single to a double? Do I just use one of them?
Secondly, there is a blue cable attached to the fakra that I believe needs to be connected to a corresponding power supply. There are two corresponding blue cables on the canbus harness. One says Antenna and the other says Power Lamp. I'm assuming I should use the former. What is the Power lamp cable for?
Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
it's almost all plug and play so the lack of directions shouldn't be too much of an issue. The instructions that came with mine were very broken engrish and so I didn't even bother with them... read through the first few pages here and you'll probably get everything you need to get started.

For your Farka connector, you'll have to get a different adapter. You'll want one like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WW64Y/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=dpender-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0007WW64Y&adid=08N87639SKNW5HFXJ9YD&

Luckily, I already had one laying around from a previous VW so I didn't need to purchase it, but my head unit did come with a dual farka as well.

For the small blue wire, that's the amplified antenna power lead - I connected mine to the wire (I think it was orange) that was labeled "AMP-C" - basically, this wire needs to be connected to a 12v switched power connection. "Power Lamp" doesn't ring any bells but I'm wondering if it's engrish for "power amp" - as in the same lead I mention above for sending the switching on/off signal to an amplifier (for audio).

Edit/ also, if you could post some pics of your unit including the "help" screen once you are all installed, I'd love to see if there are any differences.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your reply N715DP. I was told by Asure that I can plug in the single to the double farka connector. It seems to be ok, though radio reception is slightly worse than my stock radio.
According to Asure, the small blue wire is the power cable to control the illumination of the buttons.
The main issue I am facing is that I am getting an airbag fault light. So far resetting the unit has not helped.
I will try and post some pics later on. Again thanks for your suggestions.
Regards.

·
Registered
426 Posts
the blue they are referring to is prob on the head-unit side, not the antenna - radio reception is not great based on findings from myself, brian and a few others as well. hooking power to the antenna adapter helps, but not much.

as for your airbag light, did you unplug the "passenger air bag" ligt from the trim ring? this will trip the airbag light. See my note on this here in post #43 of this thread: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/74-volkswagen-passat-b6-discussion/315570-gps-dvd-head-unit-reveiw-w7-tid-7501-a-post2631492.html#post2631492

You'll need to find someone with VCDS/VAGCOM to clear the fault or have a dealer do it. There's a VAGCOM locater sticky in this forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are correct, I did unplug the passenger airbag light. I will take it to a local VW shop to have it reset. The headunit does have some other quirks. When using the GPS today, it would periodically sound out some sort of a scrambled/garbled message, like a tape recorder being played at an extra high speed. For the Navi function, I set it up so that it would auto load when I press the navi hard key. When I engage it, an ugly windows status box that does not blend in with the software appears in the middle and then disappears.

·
Registered
426 Posts
just as a heads up, the dealer is likely to charge you an arm and a leg for resetting the light.

my guess on the audio is bad settings and/or TTS (text to speech) problems. does your unit typically say "turn right in 500 feet" or does it say "turn right in 500 feet on Rosecrans Ave"?

can you take some pictures of your unit's software - specifically, the problem windows box you mention as well as settings -> info screen with the software version listed - you have to tap "help" on this screen for it to show up - see mine here:

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is interesting that you mention TTS. When I had it on non TTS mode, I did not get the garbling. The problem seems to mainly occur in TTS mode. I will take the car to an independent VW shop, not the dealer.

441 - 460 of 495 Posts