Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but I am installing nav with my ddx and would like some suggestions and some pics of where you guys have placed your GPS/sat radio antennas. I wanted to put mine behind my roof mount antenna, but I cannot get the weather stripping around the hatch to sit back into place and I do not want to cut the wire. I am installing this into a 03 variant. Thanks

Michael

PS I am installing the nav drive in the factory cd changer location, if there is a better place for it, let me know.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I ran mine out the back of the dash, across the dash behind the glovebox, out through the panel filter into the engine bay (using a metal clothes hanger, silicone etc).

then pulled the black plastic strips that cover the edges of the windscreen/shield off and ran the wire up the channel and stuck the (magnetic) antenna just above the front screen - it's off centre, it bugs the heck out of me, but it works.

Much much harder to describe than it is to actually do - I'll post a picture if you're at all interested.

I looked at going along the inside of the channel that holds the weather strips to the doors, behind the seats and then out through the taillights, but chose the above option instead.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think you are working WAY too hard. My GPS antenna is on the dash, in the far right corner. I've yet to have a dropout. The coax is run behind the glove box and up the inside by the access cover plate.

My XM antenna, on the other hand, is a mag mount placed directly behind the stock antenna base. The coax for it follows the rubber gasket around the rear hatch and goes directly to the antenna. It's darn near, but not, invisible.

If the coax on the antenna you are using is too fat you may want to try an aftermarket GPS antenna. I got one from Northstar GPS via ebay. I don't recall what type of coax is used, but it is very small diameter.

Here is a link to a current listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Antenna-...6055578QQihZ008QQcategoryZ34289QQcmdZViewItem

·
Fore!
1,565 Posts
If you curse enough and devote about 2 days to it, you can run the wire under the weather stripping around the windshield (front or rear). It is a real PITA to do. I did it twice for my sirius antennas, and it took forever. I don't know how thick your antenna is, but the sirius antenna will definitely fit. I used a combination of needle nose pliers, a screwdriver, and one of those plastic spreader tools that came with my prokit 6th switch mount. Basically i would use the screwdriver to pull back the molding, coax part of the cable under it, then use the wedge thingie to peel back a bit of the molding just ahead of the cable, then push the cable down with a gentle curve to coax it under the molding. Then use the screwdriver to gently tuck the wire down. Sometimes i would be able to get a grip on the edge of the molding with the pliers to hold it up. Careful not to damage the cable or paint job, but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the dash it will go. I just finished running the wires and ran out of daylight. I am going to try to finish the install by this weekend.

Michael

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That outside mount looks good. I just reread my instructions, thanks quality, and it says I may lose reception with mounting inside. I may give the outside a shot. Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
mines on the back shelf :)
Same here - GPS, XM and Sirius antennas are located on the back shelf. Haven't had any issues with reception. Looks clean and no one can mess with them...

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
mines on the back shelf :)
I had mine on the back shelf too (ran the wire across the tops of the doors in the weather strips) but I found in a city (London particularly) the higher buildings killed my signal.

I moved it to outside and I haven't yet failed to get a fix within seconds.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I been thinking about getting that shark fin antenna and placing them all outside. Just haven't gotten around to it. Heard that others have done it and it seems to work.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a couple of hours and some good fishin' the nav is up and running. I can't wait to go away this weekend so I can try it out. We are going camping in Pottsville PA and I plan on letting the nav lead us on our way. Thanks for all of the help

Michael

·
Registered
480 Posts
The only issue I can think of with inside mounting is if you have metallic aftermarket tint installed. In PA you are in direct line of sight of almost all of the birds.

My GPS is mounted at the sixth switch position. It works just fine down there - evene with the external antenna removed!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow so you mounted the GPS antenna in the sixth switch. That sounds cool. Can I see a picture??

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts