Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I work for an insurance marketing company. This means that we write insurance (every type) for both insurance agents' books of business and own our retail side. Basically we have over 100 agents who place their insured's business with us and we also write all the numbnutz off the street.

Typical Friday afternoon here, I've had three parents call me today, all wanting urgent quotes on what it would be to add junior onto their policies. Along with a car. So today, three 16yo's passed their driving tests and will be flying solo this weekend. :nervous: Here's the twist. All three parents are buying their kids either brand new vehicles or newer used cars. Nice ones too.

Do you know what each person said to me? "We're buying xxxx a new xxxx but we cannot afford to pay much for insurance." Ok, so you're buying snotnose a new Honda Civic EX coupe but you cannot afford to pay much for the insurance? A sporty little high symbol (almost the same as a BMW 330ci) coupe, driven by a 16yo male all hyped up on driving without mom or dad, picking up his buddies. Ohhhhhh k then, the additional premium, prorated, will be $990 for the next four months. Upon renewal the total add'l premium will be $2k. :crazy:

That's usually followed by a long silence and then a gulp, a huff of "that's ludicrous" and then "ok, well, we have to do it." :lol: Got to love it, greedy insurance companies, irresponsible parents, and a terrific sports coupe market. Pays my salary. :beer:

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
What a bunch of idiots (parents that is). Either A) buy a cheaper car, or B) make the kid at least pay the insurance. What is it with parents who want to go out of their way to get their kids every little thing? They have to right to complain about how high the insurance is. If you bought the kid a $2000 beater or something similar the insurance would be less. If you made the kid work and ship in a little bit it wouldnt be so bad.

Those parents need to have their heads examined.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
mopower said:
Honda Civic EX Coupe not = sports coupe.
Greedy insurance companies is right.
agreed. A civic, even a new one, is not a fast or expensive car. It's still an econobox. goddamn insurance companies and thier price gouging!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meltemie said:
Its cheaper under the parents than on ur own....but when u cause an accident...parents can loose their house!
Well, I'm definitely not a lawyer, but a person is still a minor until 18, at least in NY. Meaning, even if junior has his own policy, the parents can still be responsible for him because he is a) under 18 b) living in the house or a combo of both. I've only seen it once where the kid on his own policy had a big at fault accident and the other party successfully went after the parents as well as him. But, the kid's policy limits would have to be exhausted first.

It's all a game my friend, insurance companies are a business, just like lawyers and doctors.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
mopower said:
Honda Civic EX Coupe not = sports coupe.

Greedy insurance companies is right.

Supply and Demand my friend... its only too high if no one is willing to pay for it... basic laws of economics apply to everything...

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
LoneStarPoke said:
Supply and Demand my friend... its only too high if no one is willing to pay for it... basic laws of economics apply to everything...
This is not exactly accurate. I suppose you could go without a car and therefore insurance. But, AFAIK, vehicular insurance is mandatory. You can shop around, but you can't just not buy it.

Or were you just being sarcastic?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
poohbear said:
This is not exactly accurate. I suppose you could go without a car and therefore insurance. But, AFAIK, vehicular insurance is mandatory. You can shop around, but you can't just not buy it.

Or were you just being sarcastic?
Not being sarcastic. If they can't pay the high insurance on the new Accord, then they should get a cheaper car. If I could afford it, I'd be rolling in a brand new Range Rover, but I can't afford the insurance... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts