Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a CEL the other day & i have a B5 KO4 and some other small things. i have not gotten my ECU rechipped/flashed for the KO4 but thats next weekend, that shouldnt have anything to do with the CEL. i took it to autozone bc run codes for free! plus no VAGcom for me. Here are the codes:
P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire...
P1300 ..i forget whta it is - the guy said its related to the 1st code
at real low RPMS like 900-1000 there if a low rought idle. i cleaned my plugs - they looke like hell. there was alot of carbon build up and i cleaned them couple months ago. the ones in there are Denso - i forget the specs. but NGKs are in the mail. The CEL dissappread once i got gas and drove for a while couple days later it came back. I have read alil bit and in the process of doing more but the common thing(s) seem to be plugs.....coil packs wires etc..
the car is running good but i have notiched the slight rough idle in the past and never thoguht much of it but now its a lil more rough and it threw a CEL!!ha
any advice....tips...expereince is much appreacite. thanks in advance

·
Registered
988 Posts
you could have blown a coilpack. try moving 4 to 1, reset the CEL, and wait til you get it again and see if it follows the pack.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you could have blown a coilpack. try moving 4 to 1, reset the CEL, and wait til you get it again and see if it follows the pack.
sounds like a good idea to me. thanks!! ill be doing this in a day or tom. hey im assumine #4 plug is the closet to the wind sheild and #1 is near the front bumper....???

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
that is the best thing to do, moving the packs, however, if that doesn't solve your problem the issue could be within the spark plugs.

i hope you know, denso are spark plugs intended for use only on hondas....
the idiots at autozone just threw it in there because it has the right shank and thread pitch. our cars don't like to run on anything other than the NGK's specified by the dealer.

it's either irridium or platinum.. can't remember which are specified...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is the best thing to do, moving the packs, however, if that doesn't solve your problem the issue could be within the spark plugs.

i hope you know, denso are spark plugs intended for use only on hondas....
the idiots at autozone just threw it in there because it has the right shank and thread pitch. our cars don't like to run on anything other than the NGK's specified by the dealer.

it's either irridium or platinum.. can't remember which are specified...
ive been meaing to replace them ever since i got chipped but it ran fine. my NGK are in the mail :) got the ones that are one heat range colder - BRK7E IRRC.....
do you know what the postion are for the plugs? #1 is closet to the bumper and #4 is closet to the windshield?? thanks in advance

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,745 Posts
the BKR7E's will be perfect since you are getting the K04 program. Cylinders are in order 1-4 from bumper to firewall. If you have no flashing CEL, you might just have really shitty plugs. Pop those 7E's in there and see what happens. Even on my K03 apr93, it liked those plugs.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the plugs today :) but im looking around on what the gap should be?? and its funny bc my CEL went off but im still changing the plugs and going to check to see if any codes come up again.
what should these be gapped too? thanks in advance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts