Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Try and get the dealer to work with you. Your car has the benefit of the warranty valid in the country you are in. If France works like Germany, you probably have 12 months warranty, followed by a period of 3 years where VW will reimburse you for repairs on a pro-rated basis. The dealer should know how to handle this.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
nojevive said:
I guess france and germany are more or less the same. But the thing is, I bought it new in the US in may 2000 and shipped it over to europe at the end of 2001. VW assistance in europe says I don't have any warranty left. However, for a waterpump to break at 50K miles is kind of early, so if I look at european consumer law, I could claim charges on the seller. But the seller is a US dealership... I'm not sure if I can claim at the manufaturer in case the seller denies all claims.

I shipped my US spec 97 Passat to Germany while on an ex-pat assignment. A couple of things were worked on over there, and were partially covered under the pro-rated method (called "Kulanz" in German) I mentioned in my first post. My actually warranty in Germany - 12 months - had already expired. You need to determine if this pro-rated method is offered in France.

When we brought the car back to the States, the US warranty kicked in again, so I've got three years of power train warranty left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.