Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from a week trip, we got stuck last evening. Sudddenly the console started beeping and flashing STOP! I saw the tempearature gauge needle pointing way over to the right. Nothing else seemed wring. I immediately exited and stopped before a right turn. Smoke came out from under the hood. I parked it 250 yards further. Opening the hood I saw the cooling liquid boiling, some had escaped the reservoir via the seal. A puddle was forming onder the car. After the temp had dropped the minimum coolant level was not really visible. What was strabge was that also the left rear wheel well was also moist form the liquid, including the tire. Probably it managed to cover the whole underside of the car.

I called insurance and they sent a flatbed. They towed tha car to their place, and monday to a dealer.
Let's hope it's only a broken hose or something....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh shoot. How involved are the repair works? I think some people change the waterpump when they do their timing belt becaue it's supposed to be difficult to get to?
So maybe I should have the garage change the timingbelt as well when they are busy?
Tha car is at 80K km (50K miles).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I picked up my car yesterday. it turned out to be the waterpump. First diagnose was a head gasket, but this wasn not the case.
According to the garage, the waterpump practically broke in two. If it had come apart, I would have had serious engine damage. Now, it was 'only' the waterpump, the temperature sensor that had broken, and the distribution belt and spanner that need to be replaced.
Overal cost was 740 euros with 5.5 hours of diagnosing and work.
I'm going to try to get some money back from VW although I basically do not have any warranty in europe, since I imported the car. Who do you think I should aim my letter at: VW of America or VW HQ in germany?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Try and get the dealer to work with you. Your car has the benefit of the warranty valid in the country you are in. If France works like Germany, you probably have 12 months warranty, followed by a period of 3 years where VW will reimburse you for repairs on a pro-rated basis. The dealer should know how to handle this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess france and germany are more or less the same. But the thing is, I bought it new in the US in may 2000 and shipped it over to europe at the end of 2001. VW assistance in europe says I don't have any warranty left. However, for a waterpump to break at 50K miles is kind of early, so if I look at european consumer law, I could claim charges on the seller. But the seller is a US dealership... I'm not sure if I can claim at the manufaturer in case the seller denies all claims.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
nojevive said:
I guess france and germany are more or less the same. But the thing is, I bought it new in the US in may 2000 and shipped it over to europe at the end of 2001. VW assistance in europe says I don't have any warranty left. However, for a waterpump to break at 50K miles is kind of early, so if I look at european consumer law, I could claim charges on the seller. But the seller is a US dealership... I'm not sure if I can claim at the manufaturer in case the seller denies all claims.

I shipped my US spec 97 Passat to Germany while on an ex-pat assignment. A couple of things were worked on over there, and were partially covered under the pro-rated method (called "Kulanz" in German) I mentioned in my first post. My actually warranty in Germany - 12 months - had already expired. You need to determine if this pro-rated method is offered in France.

When we brought the car back to the States, the US warranty kicked in again, so I've got three years of power train warranty left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.