Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My car is a 2001, B5, V6, Manual.

As the title suggests, my springs are here, and I am ready to install them. I wanted to get some thoughts from you about doing the install myself. I will take it for the required alignment afterwards, but I have air tools and of course tons of regular tools.

As you know, I am new to Passats, but not to VW's or building the hell out of them. This suspension is a new animal for me so I have a few questions....

1. Can the stock springs be removed without compressing them? If they need compressed, what is the best way to accomplish this at home? Will standard "rental" spring compressors work, or do I need to do this with a special tool? I've heard people mention something about compressing them with an air wrench. What is that all about?

2. Can the H&Rs be installed without compression? Mine are the ones that drop the car 1.7" in the front, and 1.8" in the rear. Don't know if that helps answer my question....

3. Any other parts need to be installed to help the new springs work better due to the lowered stance?

4. Any potential problems I can avoid by being forewarned? :)

As always... thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Herman's write up is what you should check out (it was in the information forum). Following link: Herman's Suspension Write-up

1. You need to compress the springs to remove them. You'll need spring compressors (you can find them for about $8 at a shop) and if you want the job done faster - use the air compressor to compress the springs faster.

2. Only the front springs need to be compressed, the rears are not compressed.

3. Hopefully you picked up new shocks along with the springs. Otherwise your shocks will wear out and you will have to reinstall the whole suspension again...:crazy:

4. Make sure that you only get a "front-end" alignment, don't get scammed out of $$$, since the Passat can only have the front-end aligned, the rear would have to be done by the dealer and it involves rotating the entire axle. Not a simple task.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
dekode said:
4. Make sure that you only get a "front-end" alignment, don't get scammed out of $$$, since the Passat can only have the front-end aligned, the rear would have to be done by the dealer and it involves rotating the entire axle. Not a simple task.
Not applicable to all .. the 4Mo has adjustable toe and camber on the rear.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
dekode said:
1. You need to compress the springs to remove them.
No you don't. You need to compress them to get the assembly put back together, but you don't need to compress them to get them in or out.

3. Hopefully you picked up new shocks along with the springs. Otherwise your shocks will wear out and you will have to reinstall the whole suspension again...:crazy:
They won't wear out any faster than they normally would, however they are hopelessly underdamped even with the stock springs so new sport struts would be a good idea and save the extra time.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
From the car or the upper mount? From the car there is the lower strut bolt and three bolts that hold the upper mount in place. THEN you need a compressor to get the spring out of the mount. But to get the spring in and out of the car you don't need a compressor. Herman's write up illustrates this pefrectly.

Paul :thumbup:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the standard rental tool will work. i rented a macpherson strut compressor from autozone for free (you have to pay a deposit, but you get it back when you return it). an air wrench would make it much easier and quicker, but not required. i did mine w/o the air wrench.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.