Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For months I've only seen the FFR kit; dreaming about it more than anything else. In the summer, recall I had helped a fellow FFR builder with his MkIII Roadster and even sat in one but alas, never got the full effect as only a drive could do.

Well that all changed on 11/6. I was at a little GTG in Mt.View with a bunch of other Cobra replica owners. All 7 or 8 that showed up had purchased/built a Superformance 427 S/C replicas but there was one Factory Five Racing kit; after all of the Superformance guys drove off ( talk about a thundering herd) the FFR guy's stayed behind as we talked about the kit I wanted to build; then I offered them a free 3.27 gear set w/traction lock unit IF they'd give me a ride. They were more than happy to. I actually took a video but it was way too short and takes quite a bit of space on the server. However, I can tell you it's very much as I had anticipated and more.

Starting off on the streets, we do have to yell a bit to converse; having all sorts of wind noise at 40mph is one of those things you end up living with or dealing with. At the onramp to 101, the stock 5.0L came to life in this 2500lb. car; we reached 65mph a bit more briskly than I can recollect in the Passat. I really wasn't paying attention to the speedo as I was with just fixed at the front of the car watching the pavement only 4"-6" from my ass passing by. I felt a little like a giddy little kid taking his first drive in a car. The most dramatic feeling I had was all of the open air; with NO cabin to surround me you feel a lot like you're in a go kart. When you look out the back, you SEE the asphalt! :shock: And I mean CLOSELY. Same with looking out the side of the door (there are no windows). It's very true what most people say: it's really more like riding on a motorcycle with 2 more wheels.

The suspension, was very good considering the type of car it is; reminded me somewhat of the 65' Mustang when I put in the HD springs and firm shocks. Only lighter. On the freeway, it tracked just fine. The windshield does just enough to make a drive enjoyable at 80mph.

We only spent 10 min. going a mile or two in both directions but it will be the most memorable 10 min. I'll have until I build my own. :) I continued to keep that silly-ass grin all the way back home. I immediately downloaded the video and played it a number of times. Just an incredible experience and this was using the 2.75 gears (which is why he wanted a lower gear ). I hope he'll give me another ride when the gears are in. :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
uhhhgggg man thats awesome!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Herman,
Sounds like a fun ride.
Was he using the 8.8 live rear end? 3.27s will make that pupply quick. 2.73s are way too tall. :wink:

Curious:
Also, I know you have the IRS setup out of the T-Bird, is that basically a 8.8 pumpkin in the center there? If so, I imagine you are giving this chap your old ring and pinion. What gears are you going with?

Fyi- Just trying to improve my internal knowledgebase

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
LOL, I can see the grin now!! It has been many years for me, but just the description can bring it back. GO FAST!!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon:
The FFR I rode in was total donor so it's a live axle, 8.8". The T-Bird pumpkin is also 8.8" w/3.27 R&P. I'm getting an Eaton Positraction with carbon fiber plates and already have 3.55 gear set ready to install (Strange Engineering).

He should be able to utilize the entire unit w/o having to remove the Ring gear from his original. It's up to him at that point.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Herman, I have seen a novel approach to the debris thing - a small (replaceable) brush fringe mounted inside the front wheelwell that extends out about 0.5". This helps to deflect the stuff that escapes the fender and looks a lot better than big ol' mud flaps.

Overall, you don't have to worry too much about it, though. The flying stuff will follow the tire, which will push it away from the car or into the wheelwell. A leather helmet should be more than enough protection for your head, but goggles are not out of the question. I'm always more worried about eating bugs than anything else!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the gentleman that provided me a ride came by the house to pickup the 3.27 gears and what did I see pull up: 2001 Passat V6 tip! Talk about coincidence. And he even has the same Moffett Field Air show poster I have in the garage (his is framed). We talked a bit about his Passat and offered to do his brakes, oil, suspension when the time comes. He was a bit surprised I modified my car as much as I did. I don't believe he knows of this forum either so he's not here.

My wife just came home and me him breifly and realized we were like long lost brothers. She just rolled her eyes and went inside. :lol:

Just had to share this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts