Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got under the car to change the DV and realized that I'm leaking oil like crazy from the belly pan. The dealer just replaced two gaskets two weeks ago and I got chipped since then. Just put my stock chip back in and will take it to the dealer on Monday. I'm PISSED. The oil on the dipstick is about a centimeter over the curved area, I'm guessing that the normal oil level should be right in the bend of the stick. So, if they did overfill would it not have leaked out by now or is it a slow process? What kind of engine damage am I looking at if they did put an extra quart in? The car is still under certified used car warranty.
It's a 2000 late vin 1.8t 5speed.
Hope someone can give me a piece of mind,
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You shouldn't have any engine damage, but it can harm your cat's sometimes. There is no reason the oil would leak, even if it is overfilled. I don't believe our car's have any type of "Purge" valve or anything. I would mention to the dealer that the oil is also now leaking. Where is it coming from? You will need to remove the skid guard to find out exactly, but post it when you do... you may have cracked your oil pan somehow. I got my oil changed at Jiffy lube once, and they didn't tighten the drain plug enough, they said it was because since the pan is aluminium, they didn't want to strip out the hole, that may be all that it is.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
more than likely they just made a mess when they removed your filter and didn't clean it up. If you were leaking oil like crazy you still wouldn't be a centimeter over the full line on your dipstick, right? I've had oil drips after dealer oil changes for just this reason.

If you have ever removed your filter it basically pukes oil all over the frame and suspension componts and then drips down onto your belly pan.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could being chipped have caused the oil pan to crack? What's weird is they did the engine work and the oil change exactly two weeks ago. I just noticed the puddle today. Maybe it started to leak right away and I just didn't notice it. The fact that I'm still overfilled after two weeks makes me think that it's not leaking that much or they thought they were filling a Mack truck :roll: .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
kezho said:
Could being chipped have caused the oil pan to crack? What's weird is they did the engine work and the oil change exactly two weeks ago. I just noticed the puddle today. Maybe it started to leak right away and I just didn't notice it. The fact that I'm still overfilled after two weeks makes me think that it's not leaking that much or they thought they were filling a Mack truck :roll: .
No you would have to bottom out pretty hard to crack your pan. Being chipped has nothign to do with cracking the pan. My only guess is that either A) The dealer made a mess... and it started dripping out just recently, or
B) You have a hairline crack in your pan, which will need to get replaced for around 250 bucks.

I think A makes more sense, because after two weeks of dripping, if you are still above the fill line, then they probably added about 6 quarts of oil to your 1.8t, in which case you should never bring your car to that dealership again. I would pull off the skid pad, wipe down the oil pan with an old rag, and if you notice more oil, bring your car into the dealership for an oil pan inspection, and possible replacement. About the only thing you will get out of them for overfilling is a free oil change, and that just gives them a chance to mess it all up again :weirdo:.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since there was nothing even remotely close to an impact to crack my oil pan, I am hoping that the dealer incompetence is to blame. They are supposed to be the best of the three in my area.
his makes me think of how awesome my Acura dealer was when I had my CL. Passat is much more fun to drive but the service is just shite. If the dealer is to blame I am writing a complaint to VW of A.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
kezho said:
Since there was nothing even remotely close to an impact to crack my oil pan, I am hoping that the dealer incompetence is to blame. They are supposed to be the best of the three in my area.
his makes me think of how awesome my Acura dealer was when I had my CL. Passat is much more fun to drive but the service is just shite. If the dealer is to blame I am writing a complaint to VW of A.
Most of us have started to change our own oil and do our own maintainence because of poor service. I am planning on changing my own oil next time I need to, and I have been getting it done by indy mech's since I saw a couple walk into the dealership complaining that their car was spewing out black smoke after the dealer oil change :nervous:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just dropped the car off at the dealer. The assistant service manager said that it should not be a problem if the oil level is only a centimeter over the notch. They are keeping the car to check the leaks and to correct the overfill, I'll find out later today what they F*d up. At least they gave me an automatic 2.0 Jetta to drive to work(Man, what a POS!). I'm nervous sitting here waiting for them to call; don't want any surprises.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I find it disturbing that so many dealers shrug off the overfill, yet VW had issued TSB and boldly states in the manual to never fill past the upper bend (yet they always do). If you must go to a dealer, seems one of those long down-the-dipstick suckers is the way to go, so you can fix the overfill after the service.

I had a small leak after my last oil change, due to the crush washer on the oil plug. Some reports suggested that it was now built in to the bolt, and at the time I had no loose washer. After going back about the leak, they did install a washer, so I don't know if it was supposed to be there anyway or not. But that was the source of my leak.

Mike

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I've got my fingers crossed hoping that it is nothing that would prevent me from having the money to buy wheels this week. I have some lined up from the classifieds and I'm already waiting for my Pro-Kit to get shipped from Eibach. I was so excited about putting all of the stuff on, this is a major BUMMER. :mad:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just talked to the dealer, he blamed the oil guns for being inaccurate. Told me it was only about 1/4 quart overfilled (about 1cm over the notch). As far as the leak he is saying that it is from before when they replaced the gaskets. But they are still letting me take the loaner overnight and are going to check for leaks. I want to be sure that everything is top notch before I switch in a 1.1 Bar Wett and a TT DV. Suspension and new wheels should be on by the second week of April.
Pending no surprises tomorrow, I'm releived.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts