Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: I was on my way home from school and the person in front of me was doing a good 80-90mph c/ i was doing 73-77 and he was pulling away from me. So i see a state trooper and i hit the brake a lil to slow down and let him go c/ i figured he was gonna pull the guy that was in front of me over, sure enough i go passed him and then he comes out and pulls me over! He asks how fast do i think i was going i say i WAS doing 75-77 untill i saw your car and slowed down, then he teels me i was doing 84 and walks away from my car with my licence and reg.

I know for a fact i was NOT doing 84 MPH, how do i pleed not guilty, its his word agaist mine, but i had a friend in the car with me who also feels it is not right that i was pulled over. . . . . .

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
so um, go to court and plead not guilty. depending on your age and driving record and location, you may be able to plead your case.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Any chance you caught the plate number and make/model/color of the other car? Then plead not guilty (you might able to plead by mail), and have your friend write you a letter stating s/he was sitting the car as a witness, etc. Probably won't get the ticket thrown out, but maybe the judge will reduce it to a non-moving violation. Or you can go to court -- just remember to ask the officer if he remembers the other car going by.

Andy

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
we start off with 4 point and they build up at 2 per year until you have ten, offences take away certain number of points depending on the situation.ahhh speeding tickets, i've gotten a few with my GTI

-200km/h in a 100 zone---------i just flew by him and saw lights, i got off the highway and hit the offramp to swich highways, i never saw him again-summer 2002 around 2 in the morning

-177km/h in a 80 zone---------ouch 267$ fine, no points loss as it was another province at around 3 in the morning coming from a shopping spree for tools with my ex- summer 2002

-140km/h in a 100 zone-----------no fine, written warning and long speech-summer 2002 around 12:30 in a stretch of the TCH(transcanada highway)

-80km/h in a 50 zone-----------no fine, written warning and check over of the vehicle(he asked me if he could check inside the hatch and the back seat)-summer 2002 - it was 9:30at night in an industrial park

-84km/h in a 50 zone---------- 84$ fine and 3 points, i was late for school it was 8:30 in the morning a monday-autumm 2001- with my dads truck

-60km/h in a 50 zone---------- first week i had my licence, the cop pulled me over and said i was going a bit fast for the conditions(rain) and he gave me a verbal warning-summer 2000 around 8pm on the main drag in town.

as you can see i have been stopped a few times, but they are mostly in remote areas that were not busy and i was never with more than 1 person.i have not been stopped with the and i am a reformed driver now ooohh and i don't and drive. EVER

as you can see i have no idea how to get out off a shitty deal like that :crazy:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you're screwed dude...cops are lame. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyrannosaurus said:
you're screwed dude...cops are lame. :thumbdow:
:cry:

I sucks that i got screwed and i wasn't even going that fast, does anyone know where on the ticket it would say wether the "officer" used a radar or a lazer trap? :nervous:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Right on the front. IF it's lazer it will say "LIDAR"

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Cops are just doing their jobs, you said yourself you were moving somewhere around 70mph which is past the speed limit..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
vincheung said:
Cops are just doing their jobs, you said yourself you were moving somewhere around 70mph which is past the speed limit..
Ok..."just doing their jobs" sounds good but it's bull.

1. How come every time my wife gets stopped she smiles or cries and winds up with a warning?

2. How come every cop i'm acquainted with is the BIGGEST leadfoot on the road and enjoy bragging about how they do it with impugnity?

3. How come a cop can write you up at 84mph when you were doing 70 and get away with it?

I think there are a few good cops out there....a FEW.

I think the job just attracts A-holes with insecurity issues.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Like your lack of respect for authority. Sorry, but I would write you, and your wife, no matter how much she smiles. There is a time and place for warnings, and there is a time and place for citations. If you wife was doing 84 in a 65, I would write her a ticket, even if she smiled and/or cried.

As for 73-77... I am guessing it was a 65 mph zone, in which case it is more or less a moot issue, you were speeding. Now the amount of the fine may be different depending how much over the speed limit you were, you could contest the speed and state you were, according to your speedo, that you were in the 75ish range. If you win on that portion, then you may have to pay a lesser fine. Do you have aftermarket rims? If you have larger rims and/or tires, then that can mess up the accuarcy of your speedo. So, you could have infact been going 84, even though you thought you were doing 75ish.

As for cops being leadfoots, yeah I agree they can drive fast from time to time. But for the most part, there is a reason behind the speed, such as heading to a call for service.

Also a word to the wise, just becuase the guy in front of you may be going faster than you, doesn't mean your safe. If both of you are speeding, and you get stopped, it isn't much of a defense to say "well the other guy was going faster." The answer, 99% of the time will be "yeah, but your the one I caught."

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
passatlover99 said:
Like your lack of respect for authority. Sorry, but I would write you, and your wife, no matter how much she smiles. There is a time and place for warnings, and there is a time and place for citations. If you wife was doing 84 in a 65, I would write her a ticket, even if she smiled and/or cried.

As for 73-77... I am guessing it was a 65 mph zone, in which case it is more or less a moot issue, you were speeding. Now the amount of the fine may be different depending how much over the speed limit you were, you could contest the speed and state you were, according to your speedo, that you were in the 75ish range. If you win on that portion, then you may have to pay a lesser fine. Do you have aftermarket rims? If you have larger rims and/or tires, then that can mess up the accuarcy of your speedo. So, you could have infact been going 84, even though you thought you were doing 75ish.

As for cops being leadfoots, yeah I agree they can drive fast from time to time. But for the most part, there is a reason behind the speed, such as heading to a call for service.

Also a word to the wise, just becuase the guy in front of you may be going faster than you, doesn't mean your safe. If both of you are speeding, and you get stopped, it isn't much of a defense to say "well the other guy was going faster." The answer, 99% of the time will be "yeah, but your the one I caught."

well it was a 55mph zone and he was lookign to pull someone else over till he saw a 17 yr old kid driving what looks likes his parents car, i think the pig thought i stole my parents car. JERK. . .

Its ok i got off the phone wit my atterny and he says if i am able to take pictures of were the officer was and show there was no way to get a read on my car from that angle he can be suspended. Im taking this real far, cops should not be able to lie on tickets, im confident that i can get this cleared up with out a problem and have this "Tree hugger" state trooper taken of the force for a lil. . . . .

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
you're screwed...his word against yours and you always lose in this case... take your medicine and be more aware of the cops next time...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Not only are you guilty of speeding, you are guilty of wreckless driving (20+ over). Count yourself lucky you weren't charged with wreckless, here in VA wreckless can (and sometimes does) include JAIL time...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I got caught with the same thing the other morning.
Im keeping up with this chick in front of me. Shes driving a Maxima and doing about 80 in a 70. I choose to stay at about 75 cause I didnt need another ticket. Well, we blow by this trooper and thinking Im doing nothing wrong with her in front of me but nope! I get the ticket! I just smiled and simply asked why I was gettig the violation instead of the girl in front of me. The officer says" I clocked you. Not her" I said thats some coincedence(sp) and drove off.
Ive delt with fighting for tickets before and you have to build a very strong case to get out of it.

Good luck to ya!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts