Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,691 Posts
your oil seals are... well... nonexistent. yes, turbo rebuild time. contact gpop-shop as they have great reliability and reviews from tons of members from this site. do not attempt to rebuild it yourself, this work done will likely require a balancing of the turbines, so that's not really something you can do, period.

also, stop driving it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply. i am not driving it. so you really think if i replace the turbo all will be fine? just don't want to sepend money on the wrong stuff. could it be just a blocked oil drain line? read that there is no seal on the exhausyt side just some sort of ring that will leak if return line can reliev the pressure the feed line is giving the turbo.. hope this makes sense...

13,691 Posts
well, the first thing i would do is to just pull the exhaust away from the turbo first. and see if you can get a look down there and how bad the oil leakage into the exhaust is. this will also help you identify for sure that the turbo is the one leaking the oil for absolute sure.

good luck! and DO NOT drop it! :poke:

13,691 Posts
ok, wow. i didn't see that in your message... it's new turbo time as a whole...

also, i don't mean to rag on you as you say you're a mechanic and all, but i would highly recomend taking some classes in the modern vehicles. you can make yourself some good money on all the modern shit that breaks. that and it's ALWAYS good to stay on the bleeding edge of auto tech if you value your position. (i'm a techie too)

13,691 Posts
whoa whoa whoa there! the problem with EBAY turbos is that you can't vouch for their reliability as they have no guarantee of being legit BW KKK turbos. SO MANY fakes on ebay. i wouldn't bother wasting my time there for one.

· Registered
310 Posts
i have always been told you get what you pay for. i did the gpopshop turbo which is also an upgraded k03 with a 12 month warranty. You can run it with the car stock no problem and then when you decide to upgrade more if you want the turbo will do it... i had my wastegate vac hose come off and it spiked at 32psi when the car cut out. on all stock i am boosting a steady 11psi with spikes to 15

i have heard/read too many ebay terror stories and always give this input when i hear someone mention fleebay turbos

· Registered
310 Posts
350 for a rebuild is very worth doing it especially with a 6 month warranty i dont know that it can be beat.

one important question
does that include balancing also? these turbos have a very high rpm range and a little off and bye bye again.

just something to check but the price deffinately sounds good

13,691 Posts
well, the process of rebuilding a turbo is to put the cartridge into a balancer. if you're offering a warranty on parts for 6 months, you agree that the part is up to standards and have faith it will work without blowing up in a most catastrophic manner.

13,691 Posts
how low of miles?

and it's hard to say i could trust that... why is a LOW mile oem one for sale?
was the engine sludged due to lack of care? was it a collision, in which case it could have some indirect inertial damage? there are lots of problems with buying a straight up used part like this. the last thing you want is to be kicking yourself for not taking up the one with the 6 month warranty, just because this one was a hundred bucks cheaper...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.