Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking around for new tires to replace my worn out 225/45-17 Kumho Ecsta 712's and have been leaning towards going back to Kumho and getting the KU19. I was also thinking about Toyo's and getting the Proxes 4's and running them 10 months of the year. But now I just found a place that's selling the Eagle F1 GS-D3's that'll cost me about $209 installed (that's about $155 USD for my friends to the south) and I'm starting to think I'd be foolish not to get them.

I figure the Proxes 4's would cost me about $20 less per tire installed and the Kumhos to be about $25-$30 less per tire. Anyone have any opinions on this? Would the Goodyears be worth the added cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Got them, love them. I guess they won't last forever, but so what, perhaps I'll get it out of my system and buy something sensible next time. They were a great improvement... but then I went up from 15" to 18" at the same time. But I have also been driving three other cars on 225/45-17s recently and I'd say the F1s have better grip and are quieter than the others. My co-worker has a BMW M Roadster with F1s, he likes them so much that he always keeps a full spare set handy; his current set are wearing so he's ordered another set to replace the set he keeps on hand in the garage. Before the change he was going to have the suspension modified, now he doesn't need to.

I should also mention that they don't hunt on studded grid bridge decking and they don't follow the grooves on concrete hiways, but maybe it's just the US that carves up the roads like that?

Of cours YMMV as they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Bonthron said:
Well I've been looking around for new tires to replace my worn out 225/45-17 Kumho Ecsta 712's and have been leaning towards going back to Kumho and getting the KU19. I was also thinking about Toyo's and getting the Proxes 4's and running them 10 months of the year. But now I just found a place that's selling the Eagle F1 GS-D3's that'll cost me about $209 installed (that's about $155 USD for my friends to the south) and I'm starting to think I'd be foolish not to get them.

I figure the Proxes 4's would cost me about $20 less per tire installed and the Kumhos to be about $25-$30 less per tire. Anyone have any opinions on this? Would the Goodyears be worth the added cost?
Where can you get them for that price? I was quoted a lot more than that for 235/40/18...........Thanks, Brian

ps- HIDs fogs now working great. I fried the one diode last fall so we doubled up on them................looks and works great..........Thanks.. :bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bwdennis said:
Where can you get them for that price? I was quoted a lot more than that for 235/40/18...........Thanks, Brian

ps- HIDs fogs now working great. I fried the one diode last fall so we doubled up on them................looks and works great..........Thanks.. :bow:
There was an ad in the Wednesday Toronto Star for Bramalea Tire and they had them listed for $199 after rebates (which they handle) and another $10 each for installation. That's your part of town isn't it Brian. 1010tires.com has your size listed for about $50 more than mine so I guess that's why you couldn't get the same price. I'm going tomorrow morning to get them installed.

The Proxes 4's at my regular local tire shop were going to cost me $253 installed per tire... for almost $200 less I'll go with the Goodyear F1's thanks.

I'm glad you figured out your fogs. By my calculations the one diode should have been fine, but I'm no EE although it may seem like I play one on the internet. ;)

So does that make two us who've done this mod? Talk about unique!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
O.K. You are flipping between two types of tires. Ultra High Performance vs. High Performance All-Seasons.

The Proxes 4 is an All-Season High Performance Tire while the Kuhmo's and Goodyear tires are Ultra High Performance Summer Tires. The F1-GSD3's are excellent tires, and I recommend them as a close 2nd to the Toyo T1-S but as far as Performance All-Seasons the Proxes 4 is an awesome tire. If you have a set of snowtires, then go for the Goodyears, if you don't then look at the Proxes 4's..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Swami said:
O.K. You are flipping between two types of tires.
Not anymore, I'm going with the Goodyears tomorrow. :)

I was aware that I was comparing two type of tires UHP vs. HPAS but I wasn't entirely sure what was the best solution for me. Run summer tires 7 months of the year or get HP all seasons and run them maybe 10 months of the year. Plus the fact that the Proxes 4's were going to cost me $200 more and the T1-S's would be about $400 more I figured I take my chance with the Eagle F1's. TireRack customers rank them as number one, although TireRack doesn't carry Toyo.

Now if I was somehow able to get a deal on a set of Toyo's I'd probably go with them... hmmmm, wasn't someone around here tryin' to get us a deal on the Toyo's a while back? :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Bonthron said:
bwdennis said:
Where can you get them for that price? I was quoted a lot more than that for 235/40/18...........Thanks, Brian

ps- HIDs fogs now working great. I fried the one diode last fall so we doubled up on them................looks and works great..........Thanks.. :bow:
There was an ad in the Wednesday Toronto Star for Bramalea Tire and they had them listed for $199 after rebates (which they handle) and another $10 each for installation. That's your part of town isn't it Brian. 1010tires.com has your size listed for about $50 more than mine so I guess that's why you couldn't get the same price. I'm going tomorrow morning to get them installed.

The Proxes 4's at my regular local tire shop were going to cost me $253 installed per tire... for almost $200 less I'll go with the Goodyear F1's thanks.

I'm glad you figured out your fogs. By my calculations the one diode should have been fine, but I'm no EE although it may seem like I play one on the internet. ;)

So does that make two us who've done this mod? Talk about unique!
Thanks for the info Chris. The lights work great now. We think the single diode had troubles handling the current at startup since HIDS do draw a lot while starting. Take a look at my profile next week sometime for a peak at the new Zender............................... :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Bonthron said:
Now if I was somehow able to get a deal on a set of Toyo's I'd probably go with them... hmmmm, wasn't someone around here tryin' to get us a deal on the Toyo's a while back? :wink:
Lawd, just treat me like Charlie Murphy.. I'm still trying to work something out with Toyo, but shipping is the price killer. I feel really sorry for my peoples up North because that exchange rate is a Foot-Inya-A$$.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top