Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 12 years and 246,000 miles, I am calling it quits on my Passat. Last Sunday, I had my second accident in a year. I'm not sure why I've had two accidents in a year, as I'm usually quite cautious and can't remember being at fault in any accident since high school. The car still runs, but suffered about $3000 or more of damage according to the mechanic. I've already spent $2500 after I rear ended someone, and just spent $900 on the CCT, VCG and a new front right axle. Not to mention a new door a couple years ago, and replacing a window after my car was broken into and robbed of $2500 worth of musical equipment. While I had been planning on getting a new car in the next year or two, I did not plan on getting one this week, but felt I had very little choice given recent events. It has also gotten extremely difficult to load all my gear in a sedan when a wagon or hatch would be much more practical. Unfortunately I could not find a wagon I liked (or could afford), and all the Golf's I found had the 2.5L 5 cyl. motor, which I just can't stand. So, long story short I looked at GTI's. I've actually liked the Mk6 and new Mk7 GTI's for some time, and for the last few years decided that after a lifetime of automatics, I really wanted to own at least one stick shift car in my life (As I do a lot of driving, I could very well regret that when I'm stuck in traffic). After some disappointment, I saw a listing last night that I couldn't pass up, and this afternoon I tool delivery of a CPO 2013 GTI with sunroof and nav. 6 speed manual, 44k miles. One owner car, all service up to date and done at another local dealer.

The downside is, I really enjoyed not having a car payment for the last 6 years.

Technologically, this car seems light years ahead, I have a bit of a learning curve.

·
clemclan is offline.
1,057 Posts
'Grats!

I really like the wheels it has. Much better imo than the Detroit wheels w/the circular holes on so many GTIs. Looks like it'll be great fun for you!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nice car Bill. I really like the 2 door. (There's a 2 door R in Europe.) Thanks for the pix. Is it chipped? Still 225.40.18 rubber?

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Enjoy Bill, Golfs are great cars.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Grats!

I really like the wheels it has. Much better imo than the Detroit wheels w/the circular holes on so many GTIs. Looks like it'll be great fun for you!
Thanks, me too. I was never crazy about the Detroits. Some of the Mk7 wheels I saw were nice, but once I saw these, part of me was really aiming for one with this wheel design. I figure the more I like it as it sits, the less tempted I feel to 1) track down these wheels later 2) Sit around wishing I had the money for BBS wheels 3) Buy cheap knockoffs and get pissed when I crack a wheel.

Is it chipped? Still 225.40.18 rubber?
Doesn't feel like it. But I wouldnt really know. Yes, still 225/40/18. Tires are a bit noisy but I figured that's to be expected in a car like this.

Enjoy Bill, Golfs are great cars.
:thumbup:

I am still unfamiliar with the trim levels on this generation. I don't think it's S, SE, etc like the Mk 7. It clearly isn't the base model, and I don't know if it's the Autobahn or Wolfsburg Ed. Car has Sunroof, Nav, HIDs, the 'Laguna' style wheels.

I found a piece of paper in the owners manual with the previous owners name on it. Looked him up on facebook and sure enough. Looks like he traded it in recently for a Golf R. The man appears to be in his 50's or so, which means it wasn't abused by a rich teenager. I thought about reaching out to him but don't know if that would be creepy haha.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
I found a piece of paper in the owners manual with the previous owners name on it. Looked him up on facebook and sure enough. Looks like he traded it in recently for a Golf R. The man appears to be in his 50's or so, which means it wasn't abused by a rich teenager. I thought about reaching out to him but don't know if that would be creepy haha.
Might have luck posting in the MkVII R forums on VWVortex to find the previous owner. Just don;t say you Facebook stalked him. :D

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Congrats on the new whip, Bill! That is a fantastic choice. Enjoy the new car!

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the new whip, Bill! That is a fantastic choice. Enjoy the new car!
Enjoying it I am. I still need to read through the manual and figure out all the gizmos.

Oil changes will actually be easier. The filter is,surprisingly, a spin on filter, and is right up top, next to the dipstick

Considering this is the first stick shift I've owned, and have only driven stick a handful of times, it feels very easy and natural to drive.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Enjoying it I am. I still need to read through the manual and figure out all the gizmos.

Oil changes will actually be easier. The filter is,surprisingly, a spin on filter, and is right up top, next to the dipstick

Considering this is the first stick shift I've owned, and have only driven stick a handful of times, it feels very easy and natural to drive.
I plan on getting an extractor to do oil changes on my R. With the filter on top there is no need to even lift the car to do an oil change.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Pela extractor I used on my Passat. I really should get underneath the car now and then, but this way makes it a snap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts