Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't reveal the identity but a Seattle area VW dealer recently insulted me. I looked at a number of VW models and tentatively selected one as a potential purchase. The sales rep initally touted that I qualified for a $1000 rebate but then in the office said I couldn't get the rebate if I wanted a cash deal. Then he offered me no better than MSRP and a trade-in allowance of less than half of what they are asking for similar models for sale on used VW lots all over the area and thousands below internet KBB, Edmunds & NADA trade-in value figures. The sales rep claimed he was giving me "retail" value for the trade! When I asked point blank about the current $1500 manufacturer to dealer incentive on the car I found reported on two auto related national web sites, he was mute. MSRP for a year end 2004 model and no incentive thrown into the play??? I walked out.

Who has had a fair, honest, straight and no "shell game" car deal experience in the Seattle area?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had very good dealings with Ivan at University VW. I have my car serviced at Chaplin's in Bellevue and I am reasonably impressed with their service dept.
All that said, I bought my Passat at Frontier in Burlington as a result of an Autobytel bid. DeeDee Thomas was the rep at the time and I think she still works there.
Very straight shooters.
I used to work in the car business and I think I know the difference between a good deal and a 'good deal'.
You will get a better price and lower sales tax by driving to Burlington.
PM me and I'll fill you in on details.
Dan

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always considered negotiating car deals distasteful and this reinforced my impression. I forgot to mention they also wanted me to pay a $200 "prep" charge. I know they're paying a high school dropout about $8/hr to wash the cars when they come off the truck! I don't absolutely have to buy a new car right now, I think maybe I'll wait a year or two. The trusty old Passat is still rolling along fine and it seems that it's the law of greatly diminishing returns with trade-ins so I might as well get my full money's worth out of the car. Here's the worst part - I turned down $10000+ in a private sale and decided to keep the Passat last year!

·
Registered
383 Posts
BobV,

I have purchased my last couple of VW's (Golf IV and my Passat) from Chaplins Volkswagen. Good people there and good service. I would check them out. I have also purchased a car (New Beetle) from Pignataro. Good group there, Eric in there service department is the man.

-Jason

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have had good experience at Chaplin's (my uncle works there in parts), also Auburn has been pretty helpful with me (Rod in parts dept).

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Well, it's south of Seattle, but i got my B5 from Auburn VW and they are great, never had a problem. Like Spooner said, the Service department is really good, with Al and Rod, and my Salesman was awsome, layback, not pushy and got what i wanted, not what he thought he could get me :roll: . If you are going that way, let me know, i'll even tell you what salesman to go see, great guy :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I agree with Shrinermonkey - I bought my '03 at University last April and received really good treatment. The service department seems competent too - no complaints.
The guy at Carter seemed nice and helpful, and was really hyping the V6 when I drove it - but I went back a week later after deciding that I wanted to check out the 1.8T and he started telling me how the V6 wasn't that good and I'd be much better off with the 1.8T, basically praising whatever I was testing at the moment and trashing the others... :crazy: When I first walked in there, I told him I had the money and had narrowed all my car choices down to a passat variant - I was ready to buy and my last decisions were 4-motion or FWD, 1.8T or V6, leather or cloth, and gray or silver paint. After a couple quick drives I had everything narrowed down to just the gray or silver paint - as I was walking around looking at the cars, trying to make up my mind, he started talking smack about the V6 I had previously tested, so I turned around and walked. I drove over to University VW and asked them if they had gray or silver w/Tip, 1.8T and black leather - "We can have a silver one ready for you tomorrow, or a gray one next week" I bought the silver one the next day, and didn't feel ripped off when I left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.