Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 Variant 1.8T, and am about to get the timing belt, tensioner and WP replaced. I don't want to pay $850 at the dealer if I don't have to, and I don't have my A&P :wink: , so does anyone know of a good place to have this done (somewhere with experience doing this)? Should I just pay the extra money and eat ramen for a while? Thanks,

Earl

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can not help you in your area, but the $850 pricing is in line with what others charge out here. I was quoted from $700 to $1100. Be sure to have your waterpump changed at the same time as this will save you labor charges when it fails.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Free Bump :beer:

I'd like to hear some opinions and experiences for the Sac / Vacaville / Vallejo area as well. Specifically, these dealers:

Niello (Sac)
Roseville
Lasher
Vacaville
Ogen Imports

Mostly want info concerning good treatment and quality work. Labor costs are not as important. Any comments?

Chris

·
Registered
675 Posts
It's expensive because there is alot of work involved and it's in a very confined space. The standard labor quote probably includes moving the lock carrier forward to the service position.

A couple of months ago I changed the timing belt on a 82 Rabbit diesel...the belt cost 17 dollars and the work took 30 minutes. Times have changed.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Chris30vB5.5 said:
Free Bump :beer:

I'd like to hear some opinions and experiences for the Sac / Vacaville / Vallejo area as well. Specifically, these dealers:

Niello (Sac)
Roseville
Lasher
Vacaville
Ogen Imports

Mostly want info concerning good treatment and quality work. Labor costs are not as important. Any comments?

Chris
Lasher (which is now Elk Grove VW) is where I have mine serviced. No problems.

Here are some reviews from a previous thread:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67858&highlight=sacramento&sid=cbe39d48205b75118ecdf58751387301

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you don't mind driving a bit you could call Tomas Sport Tuning for a quote. www.tomassporttuning.com. They do very good work and their rates are reasonable. I can't speak to how much a timing belt R & R would go for however.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. From what I've read of Niello, I don't want to go there, but they quoted me almost 200 bucks less than Elk Grove for the same job. I think I'll be giving them another call.

Earl

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I've had work done at Niello and Roseville and they were both great. I usually go to Roseville since it's closer now (I used to work around the corner from Niello, literally) and Roseville seems to be a bit more mod friendly. Also, look in the yello pages, there are a few VW specialty shops. Bugformance springs to mind but I'm not sure if they do watercooled though. There's one other that I can't recall the name of that's excellent from what I hear from other VW owners.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have had all of my service done at Lasher VW in elk grove. No problems. My friend took his Golf to Neillo for service and they could have killed him because when the were fixing his clutch, they forgot to put in another screw and he hit a pot hole at 20mph and the car wouldnt steer. Luckly it wasnt on the freeway...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
EGdrummer05
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing