Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay okay, now that I've made a spectacle out of myself those are only crank numbers. The Numbers @ the Wheel are 210.6 HP and 277.4 TQ.

Heres how I did it!

Some of you may remember my first Dyno @ 187 WHP and 247 TQ, that wasn't even using a fan.

Since then I added:

A decent floor fan
JonBoy's Tinted tails
Overboost solutions Anti Boost spike kit (this does NOT add power, it only tapers down the boostspikes so I don't go limp)
and last but not least...
A Nitrous Express FMIC Mister Halo

And I Pulled a 192.9 WHP and ANOTHER 247 Ft/lbs Torque without the N20
15 minutes after that first run I blasted the FMIC with chilly N20!

I'm going to do a full review on the NX system when I get the proper pictures up to my host. (Soon I hope) But until then this dyno sheet will have to suffice!

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Damn that's so lean.. but what happens to the AFR over 5200? Is that a dyno artifact? Great numbers though.. If your high RPM AFR's are really that fubar then you should have even more waiting to be unleashed..

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mac, you're right, I would like to tune it to a 12.5-12.8, but without getting a whole new chip, I don't see how that is possible.

I'm afraid that 5K fuel dump is no artifact. The Wett chip unleashes the floodgates to keep the EGTs down. (Thats at least what I've heard), and again, I'm stuck with that map until I get a new chip, or I put in the big turbo.

Do you have any advice on what I could possibly do in the meantime? I would totally switch chips if I were keeping the K03S, but as I said before, I'm not keeping it past this summer so just changing chips would be a waste.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
no, most chips dump fuel at the higher rpms to get the EGTs down. My a/f looks like that too except it has more than one step.

Good numbers, 192 on a k03 must be a record on a long k03 engine.

Do you have a full mod list?

What was the outside temp?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Still, yours are off the chart! Into the 9s! It seems completely nutty to run ~14:1 at the torque peak and 9.X:1 where you're not pushing much of any boost at all especially with the abrupt dip. *shrug* With that considered, you're really making great power on that turbo.

Question: Can you see the fog from behind the car?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Do S-AFCs work on the crazy Bosch MAFs/ECUs? If so, you should get one. :) Adjustable fuel curve every 500 rpms, with up to 50% enrichment/leaning.

Absolute lifesaver, especially since running that lean down low probably ain't healthy (and being off the charts up high probably is gettin' your car all dirty inside :lol: ).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Is this with Stage I or Stage II Wetterauer program?.....

Either way, it's the best dyno# I've seen on the stock Longitudinal K03 so far. :thumbup:

What PSI did you set your overboost control as the limit?...
I better get this installed soon.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Rusty said:
Man, that A/F curve IS wacked... but :thumbup: on the mister install!
Yea...i think he better not go over 5k rpms til you get that AF straighten out.

These are pretty similar numbers of what people with K03 sports FMIC and 100OCT are putting out. Pretty amazing......

You make my K04 look like a k02 :lol:

Im wondering how you got the extra 20WHP....... :crazy: please keep informed on that ;)

I wonder how that mister would work on a stock Intercooler.....can you give me links...prices etc on that :lol:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Nice numbers spanky. :thumbup: So dynotex got a new squirel(sp?) cage fan or they just used the large fan?

Just to clarify the A/F issue. He's not running lean, he's running rich. The values are A (air) over F (fuel). Like any fraction or proportion, a whole number gets smaller as the denominator gets larger. Ex: take 10. In fractional form its 10/1. If the bottom number (fuel) is changed to 2, the result is 10/2 = 5/1 = 5. His reading is showing a rich condition. The more fuel, the lower the number. (here is an example from the dynojet website - http://www.dynojet.com/maf.shtml ) The explanation, as some have pointed out, is for cooling effects (for cooling itself and to help prevent detonation). I don't think its a problem. You might pick up some power by running leaner, but your power band is already droping off. I wouldn't worry about it. Running to lean can be disasterous (burn up your pistons etc, etc,) The other explanation for the AF ratio running way rich up high is the fact that the KO3 runs out of breath at the upper RPMs. Anybody who is chipped knows the feeling. I'm APRed and the power from 2000 to 4500 is great. Most naturally apirated cars will continue to climb from there. (my 2002 ss just keeps on pullin - I know completely different car but thats kinda my point). but the passat definately feels like its quiting from 5000 on. The turbo just isn't big enough to supply the air when the motor is spinning that fast.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
From looking at the graph...he is running rich and lean... :???: :???: :???:

I wouldn't drive my car if I knew my AF was like that....

This graph was bad enough for me...

It was acctually a lose hose that caused that....I was told it was programing, and whoever did it....blew. Wasnt the case....

Here is after...still not as great, but better...

But it should really stay at around 11.5 all the way down....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Macabre said:
He's running very lean below 5000rpms, then a quick dip to very rich after. Very unattractive AFR curve.
Hmmmm. Well anything below 14 is fine. I know its showing a lean condition for the first 500 rpms, but it moves with the where they started the Dyno readings. The blue pull starts @ 2300 and the red pull starts @ 2700. The AF drops below 14 within 500 rpms of the start of the dyno readings. From there, the red and blue are practically identical. So I fugure there are two possible explanations - 1) the dyno operator floors it to WOT and hits the start button for the dyno readings and the ECU calls for full boost. THe sudden rush of air hits the MAF sensor and calls for more fuel but its just a step behind and it takes 500 rpm to even things out. remember, just before he floors the thing (just cruising on the dyno, there is practically no boost being called for) - 2) the dyno operator floors it to WOT and hits the start button for the dyno readings (and thus the A/F meter readings). The A/F meter takes a short time to get an accurate reading of whats comming out of the exhuast and then things level out. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that if you started the whole dyno process at 1500 rpm you would see the same "blip" in the graph. Weather its the dyno/af meter or the programing, I don't know.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Time to switch out that AEB head, eh Jacob? :p

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
passaturbonium said:
From looking at the graph...he is running rich and lean... :???: :???: :???:

I wouldn't drive my car if I knew my AF was like that....

This graph was bad enough for me...

It was acctually a lose hose that caused that....I was told it was programing, and whoever did it....blew. Wasnt the case....

Here is after...still not as great, but better...

But it should really stay at around 11.5 all the way down....

Just read your post. That first graph is scary. THAT is the kind of lean condition that needs fixing. You were lean through a majority of the powerband. Your second graph looks good. From what I know, below 14 is OK. You are running around 11.5 to 13.5. I many cases, leaning out can produce more horsepower, but you have to be carefull not to go to lean. It looks like Wett is squeezing every last ounce out by running close to the safe limit, but its still safe. Spanky is only lean for 500 RPMs and then its right back down.

And the beginning of your second dyno shows the same "lean" condition that Spanky has. I seriously don't think its anything to worry about. I think its just a hicup in the reading or prehaps a slight lag between the maf and ECU injectors

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
12 Participants
Macabre
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing