Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Usually use Kodak Tri-X for the grainy quality, or Plus-X, or Ilford 400. Don't do as much B&W photography as I used to tho...

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
What are you gonna shoot? Is it for general purpose or do you want to experiment with some creative photography?

I like Ilford FP4 or HP5 for general stuff. FP4 is a great ultra fine grain ISO125 film that is best in the studio/flash. HP5 is a good all around ISO400 film. If you are doing all studio/controlled lighting you can also try out PANF, but it's ISO50 so it's not great for anything but controlled lighting applications.

If you are experimenting, Kodak makes some awsome specialty films like High Speed Infrared, which has sensitivity down to 900nm and you can do some pretty interesting stuff with it using filters (both at the camera and the enlarger) or darkroom techniques. When you push process it the grain gets really chunky. or you could play with Kodak Tri-X or Technical Pan films. But they are about like the Ilford PANF. Tri-X is nice because of it's high contrast and fine grain. It's a good landscape film.

If you are doing your own darkroom work, buy a short roll of each and then shoot the same test subject over a range of exposures and process them all at the same time. That way you get to see the difference of each film.

Fun stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The guy that develops my film said that unless you get the really expensive b&w film, you just buying regular color film that is processed to be b&w.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to be shooting more on the creative side. Mostly outdoor stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll go over to B&H and try out some of the brands above.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Andrew said:
The guy that develops my film said that unless you get the really expensive b&w film, you just buying regular color film that is processed to be b&w.
Tell the guy that develops your film to find another line of work. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

The materials that make up B/W film are about as similar to color film as mozzarella is to bananas.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Andrew said:
Hmmmm...that's all I can say. :crazy:

Does the guy said "Dude" all the time?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
a4passata6 said:
Andrew said:
Hmmmm...that's all I can say. :crazy:

Does the guy said "Dude" all the time?
I'm guessing he looks alot like Tommy Chong.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been using the new Kodak B&W that does get developed using the C41(color developing ) process. It works pretty well, I also use the Kodak Tri X

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ralphb said:
That's what I was thinking he meant coming into this thread. I'm now leaving, since I have no experience in any non-digital photography in the past 5 years (before which was Point and Shoot).

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
That's funny....I clicked on the post ready to type "Roman Holiday"...then I read the post :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
JimDog
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing