Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for winter wheels and tires. I'm leaning toward 17x8 black Flik Justice wheels but I'm not sure about tires. I'm looking for all season tires but keep in mind that this is going to be my winter setup so I need tires that will perform in wet and snow conditions. I hear good reviews about Toyo Proxies 4 but I would like to know what are my other options? Any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
The Contis do very well in the snow. The Proxes 4 are supposed to be good too but I have not gotten a chance to test them in the snow yet - they are great dry and wet - super sticky.
 

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
Joined
·
13,138 Posts
I have the Proxes 4 and they are great in rain, we dont get any snow here, a little ice in the winter, but i havent had them through a winter yet so i cant tell you how they handle in that. Overall though they are a great tire :thumbup:
Just curious, if they are winter wheels/tires, why not get snow tires???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rollininstyle2004 said:
I have the Proxes 4 and they are great in rain, we dont get any snow here, a little ice in the winter, but i havent had them through a winter yet so i cant tell you how they handle in that. Overall though they are a great tire :thumbup:
Just curious, if they are winter wheels/tires, why not get snow tires???
The thing is that it's not like we have snow here all winter long and I might use them in the summer as well as an alternative to my 19s...
Thanks for all suggestions...
 

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
Joined
·
13,138 Posts
B5njpeteo said:
rollininstyle2004 said:
I have the Proxes 4 and they are great in rain, we dont get any snow here, a little ice in the winter, but i havent had them through a winter yet so i cant tell you how they handle in that. Overall though they are a great tire :thumbup:
Just curious, if they are winter wheels/tires, why not get snow tires???
The thing is that it's not like we have snow here all winter long and I might use them in the summer as well as an alternative to my 19s...
Thanks for all suggestions...
Got it, another tire i considered when i bought the Toyos was the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S so you may want to take a look at thoose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Got it, another tire i considered when i bought the Toyos was the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S so you may want to take a look at thoose.
i have those Pirelli on my 18"s kept them on all winter. pretty good performance year round... really no complaints. never had any other tires on this car so can't compare... just my $0.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
ContiExtremeContact is good in the snow.

Consumer Reports (which did not test the Contis) recommends Falken Ziex 512 and Bridgestone Turanza.

I have the H-rated Falkens (which are *wicked* cheap from http://www.hptire.net) and love 'em, although I haven't tried them in the snow yet.

My father-in-law has the Contis - and he likes those very much; also relatively inexpensive. He got these when his OEM Pirellis (P6? P-Zero?) developed sidewall bubbles.

I've heard nothing but goodness re: Turanzas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,347 Posts
hey Reaglebeagle... I love your name!
Wasn't that the name of the local pub on Three's Company?

Anyways, I have Yokohama AVID H4S, and they are a great all season tire.
I live in Canada, and I've driven them in the snow too... only for one day though, then i put on snow tires.

Jimmy :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
JimmyDee said:
hey Reaglebeagle... I love your name!
Wasn't that the name of the local pub on Three's Company?

Anyways, I have Yokohama AVID H4S, and they are a great all season tire.
I live in Canada, and I've driven them in the snow too... only for one day though, then i put on snow tires.

Jimmy :)
Thanks Jimmy. The name is actually two fold. My wife and I have a 1 year old beagle and I used to love watching Three's Company. Hanging out at the Regal Beagle was the greatest. I also named my fantasy football team the Reagle Beagles.

I also considered those Yokohamas however could not get them locally....should have used Tirerack I know :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
HowIroll said:
There must be a reason, but no one talks about these tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE950

I've had them now for a month and they're spectacular. quote]

They are, in fact, excellent in the summer (although not spectacular). They seem to have gotten noisier over time (car is always aligned to specs and tires rotated every 6K miles). They are adequate in the rain (but not as good as many "summer" performance tires I've had) and don't seem to lose too much when it gets cold.

But the reason there is less buzz about these is that they are next to worthless in anything but a dusting of snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,337 Posts
Pete - if they're dedicated winter tires, you might as well get something that's ready to handle the winter like dunlop wintersport M2's (or something else for winter 17" wheels). Great snow traction and handling and great in dry conditions too.

The nokian WR's are excellent all seasons as well as the toyo proxes 4.

edit: Actually, I am smoking crack. I have a set of 205/50-17s that I will no longer need since I'm moving back to LA. Gurft has dibs on them, but if he passes, I'd be happy to sell them to you for a good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
julianfang said:
Pete - if they're dedicated winter tires, you might as well get something that's ready to handle the winter like dunlop wintersport M2's (or something else for winter 17" wheels). Great snow traction and handling and great in dry conditions too.

The nokian WR's are excellent all seasons as well as the toyo proxes 4.

edit: Actually, I am smoking crack. I have a set of 205/50-17s that I will no longer need since I'm moving back to LA. Gurft has dibs on them, but if he passes, I'd be happy to sell them to you for a good price.
I'm interested Julian, Let me know as soon as you know...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top