Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Goo Gone takes too long!?

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  EuroTrio 
#1 ·
So, i decide to finally debadge my trunk (99B5) since i just installed a new grill.
Ive used everything under the sun to get the damn glue off but its not comeing off.

First i try "oops!" since i couldnt find goo gone. That crap didnt work.

Then i find "Goo Gone" at Home Depot, and that stuff dosent do any better either.

I have glue stuck on the trunk that just isnt budgeing. Ive basicly rubbed a hole in the little hand towel i was using to apply the goo gone.

2 days ive been doing this now?

what gives?

There has to be a better way to remove this stuff, or else im gonna be forced to put the letters back on.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Liquid_Smoke said:
So, i decide to finally debadge my trunk (99B5) since i just installed a new grill.
Ive used everything under the sun to get the damn glue off but its not comeing off.

First i try "oops!" since i couldnt find goo gone. That crap didnt work.

Then i find "Goo Gone" at Home Depot, and that stuff dosent do any better either.

I have glue stuck on the trunk that just isnt budgeing. Ive basicly rubbed a hole in the little hand towel i was using to apply the goo gone.

2 days ive been doing this now?

what gives?

There has to be a better way to remove this stuff, or else im gonna be forced to put the letters back on.

Any ideas?
Liquid

I feel your pain! I just used WD-40 and that took about 1hr. I never tried goo gone. I'll be honest though, the glue residue if there are any loose pieces just pull it from one end and it should remove. At least mine did. Good luck!

Wood

#5 ·
Liquid_Smoke said:
Ive basicly rubbed a hole in the little hand towel i was using to apply the goo gone.
You using the towel to try and get the glue off?

Try a finger nail or CC card. I took mine off with goof off and it took about 15 minutes.

#6 ·
i used a hair dryer the entire debadging process and then some bug and tar remover and the glue came off, with some elbo grease in under 5 min. maybe warm it up or leave the stuff sit for some time like wood sugested. i would be careful about leavin the bug and tar remover on too long or anythin else u use cause it will eventually take the clear coat off.

#7 ·
well ive allready put the letters back on :sad: :thumbdow:

I dont know what kind of glue was used on this, but its super hard. I tried scrapeing it with my finger nails, hair dryer, goo gone, WD40. Nothing worked.
The glue is rock hard!!!!! :suspicio:

Anyway, all that is mute about now, since the letters are back on and im not about to take them back off. Sucks.

#9 ·
I took mine out wit goof off which is the same as goo off... I heard someone that tried olive oil... The thing about taking it off is that u have to be hard on it... welll u put it back one... put the 1.8t on the other side and it will look balanced and nice :)

#14 ·
I used goo gone and a plastic scraper (carefully). Worked fine but I rubbed to hard with the goo gone and hazed my paint a little. Should have been more patient and let the chemical do it's job. I guess I will have to buff it now. Also, I have a faint outline of the word that can be seen from some angles.

#16 ·
I don't regret doing it. I put on my de-badged grill at the same time and just had to finish the job. I just put in a little to much elbow greese with a rag that must have been "just a little" course. What are you going to buff it with? wax?, rubbing compound? how agressive? I just don't want to make it worse.

#17 ·
Being experienced with collsion repair and painting for over 17 years, here is my recommendation: do not use paint lacquer thinner as it will eat into the clear coat.

Grab your local Yellow Pages and look up "Body shop supplies" store. Ask for a product such as Acrysol. It is designed for automotive refinish adhesive, tar, wax removal. It's a great product to have around and 1 pint can will last you a long time. Besides, you'll be happy with results and less work. :bow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.