Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
My condolences for your loss.

When you get your new clutch plate, be sure to repair any damage to the input shaft before assembly.
Slide the transmission bellhousing up to the engine block before fitting any bolts.
(NEVER use bolts to pull the transmission to the engine.)

·
Registered
2000 vw passat wagon 2001 audi a4 quattro 1992 Acura legend coupe 2006 Chevrolet silverado
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks you guys, it's very difficult and I thought of just keep on working to keep my mind busy and was doing ok until I got to this point. The shaft has no damage so thats good

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad just over 4 years ago and I had a hard time doing anything.

·
Registered
2000 vw passat wagon 2001 audi a4 quattro 1992 Acura legend coupe 2006 Chevrolet silverado
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Alzheimer is an awful way to go

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Don't know anything about these dmfw , so I wanted to know if it's normal for this 2 piece to move so easily. If you look at the pics I marked the dowel pins in red and another dot right next to it on other piece, I can easily rotate this by like half inch to the right and then back to left. Is it supposed to do that? And the middle looks like it's a bearing but not sure

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
It appears that the centre bearing & seal have been damaged, I suggest you take the DMFW to an engineer who knows about these, and get it checked.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
There was a white plastic ring/bushing on top that came off and when I wiped that area, the metal thin bearing cover I would call it I guess came apart in pieces, after that I noticed that the flywheel would move , but before it wouldn't like if was stuck or something.
If thats a bearing and it's been compromised, should I just replace the flywheel to avoid any future issues?
I paid like 22 from the junkyard plus 65 for resurface , but I would rather just get a replacement, im already way over budget so might as well. I wouldn't know where to take it to have an engineer look at it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
When I took it to have it resurfaced, they told me they check to see if it's broken first, and won't do it if it is, so it's good since they did it and it doesn't wobble or have any loose play or anything of that nature. Checking online about these flywheels, it should have some movement to a certain limit and I feel like mine is still within those limits. I'm just gonna go ahead and reuse this fw , have replacement disc and new flywheel bolts on order should get here today or tomorrow and keep going with this project. I want to get it done before my father's service next Thursday, dont really need anything else to get other than the vagcom to complete the electrical side and clear whatever codes come up.
Did the Reverse light mod, still need the clutch start switch mod, and cruise control mod

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,074 Posts
When I took it to have it resurfaced, they told me they check to see if it's broken first, and won't do it if it is, so it's good since they did it and it doesn't wobble or have any loose play or anything of that nature. Checking online about these flywheels, it should have some movement to a certain limit and I feel like mine is still within those limits. I'm just gonna go ahead and reuse this fw , have replacement disc and new flywheel bolts on order should get here today or tomorrow and keep going with this project. I want to get it done before my father's service next Thursday, dont really need anything else to get other than the vagcom to complete the electrical side and clear whatever codes come up.
Did the Reverse light mod, still need the clutch start switch mod, and cruise control mod
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine passed a little over 10yrs ago. Still hurts.

Sounds like you're making progress. I guess I should do my clutch switch one day.....4 years later, lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks, VAGguy. Service is a week from today, and my goal is to get it done and running by Wednesday night. Everything except the ecu mod is in my garage. Got the replacement clutch disc in and flywheel bolts, so now I can move forward.
Got the cruise control mod and Reverse light mod done, pedals and shift box in, so everything inside is done , all parts cleaned and ready to go

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Dang I lost my notes with the Torque specs for flywheel and pressure plate, can I get info? Doing some wrenching right now, and can't seem to find the right specs

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Here’s a detailed review of dual-mass flywheels, where you can practice your pronunciation of “Zweimassenschwungrad”

Basically they recommend replacement:
1. Whenever the clutch is worn out from higher mileage (>80K miles),
2. By 120K miles, because the internal grease is used up / burnt up
3. If there’s clunking or excessive play, which is hard to measure exactly, or play in a non-radial direction,
4. If the plate doesn’t return to it’s centered rest position when you rotate it away from center, (similar response in both directions)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Almost done here, need to finish few odds and ends, but right now I need help with these 2 cables
First one is on passenger side and it's a ground cable but where does it go? Can't remember. Red arrow is where it's bolted to

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Second one is the cable where it goes to alternator, but can't remember where other end goes

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
Almost done here, need to finish few odds and ends, but right now I need help with these 2 cables
First one is on passenger side and it's a ground cable but where does it go? Can't remember. Red arrow is where it's bolted to
View attachment 102909
That should go to the motor mount bracket.

The cable to the alternator is part of the engine wiring harness. It should connect around to the hot lead on the starter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So it connects to same spot that the cable going to positive side goes?

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
If that's not the positive lead to the alternator, I don't know what it is then. There should only be a positive lead and a trigger wire. I don't recall another wire like that on the driver's side of the engine.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,074 Posts
The battery cable is black, FYI. There should only be one wire that size in the engine compartment. Well, two. One goes from battery to starter, then around the back from starter to alternator.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ok, got that part taken care of .
Everything is done , installed and connected.
Last issue before I start is with the clutch lines.
I had my brother help me bleed the brakes, and got them bled out and brake pedal feels good, but I can't get the clutch system bled.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts