Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2000 vw passat wagon 2001 audi a4 quattro 1992 Acura legend coupe 2006 Chevrolet silverado
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The manual transmission has two connectors, and I have the plugs that connect to them. Is one for the Reverse lights? I need to make a harness using the manual plug on one end and connect that to the smaller one of the two auto connectors correct?
Did that make sense, because I'm confusing myself as I write this

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,074 Posts
yes, it is the reverse lights. Really easy. I'll dig it up. It should be a Blue with red stripe wire, IIRC.

·
Registered
2000 vw passat wagon 2001 audi a4 quattro 1992 Acura legend coupe 2006 Chevrolet silverado
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just took a look at the two plugs for the auto and they are both rounded plugs

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, anybody have a pic or diagram of how the spring for the clutch pedal is supposed to go, I just want to make sure I got it on correctly

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
I don't, but it was confusing. For the reverse lights, I de-pinned the 2 wires from the connector and cut the wires from the switch. I read several swap threads on AudiZine and I know one of them had pics of which wires they were.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I Found a link for the DIY for the reverse lights on audizine And on that 1 is shows for different style connector but at the end it shows the rounded plug in which wires to use so I should be good with that

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the spring on, so pedal assembly is installed. Shifter box is in, but now I'm looking at the mounts and they look they are not gonna work. I went back and read some diy a few times and I didn't see anything about the transmission mounts .
I bought the 2001 1.8t manual 5spd mounts l&r and the l&r axles, are they gonna work for this 2000 auto subframe?

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
Reposted from our conversation for others to read:
I am a bit confused due to the meds I am on. If your trans mounts (not brackets) are the same type on each side (apart from the heat shield), then the following is correct. (I'm pretty sure it's right).

The mounts for the swap will be the same as your current mounts. The passenger side bracket is standard between the engines but it has to be for a manual trans. You will need the driver's side bracket for a V6 manual trans as the 1.8T manual has a different subframe. The V6 manual uses the same subframe as all Tip trans. I don't know why the 1.8T manual uses the oddball subframe and trans mount.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Can anyone confirm this part # for the driver side transmission bracket # 8D0 399 113 AG for the passat v6 5spd needed to do auto to manual swap on b5 passat

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
According to this (post#20), yes it's the correct part:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok, cool. Got it on order , and while I wait for that and the clutch to come in , and have the motor out, im gonna do some service to it. Bought timing belt kit, plugs , oil pan gasket rear main seal and turbo rebuild kit. Should keep me busy meantime

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good luck to you, you won't regret it. I did my conversion almost two years ago and I am glad I done it. It took me awhile to do it, I was scared. I bought the tranny in 2016 and only installed it in 2019. When I bought it, I got the pedals, master cylinder, clutch and dual mass wheel. I took the dual mass in to check if it was good and was told it was good. I just bought a new clutch. As for the mounting bracket. I could not find the passenger side on, so I made one up. The pilot bearing I bought went perfectly into the crank without any modifications. My engine is an AWT.

If your car has cruise control, you will need the clutch switch. I watched this video many times over.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you Bashir, that link helps alot with the electrical side of this swap, gonna bookmark it to watch it couple more times.
Heading out to dealership to pick up my driverside tranny bracket to continue this swap

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
Yeah, the clutch start interlock is nice to have, as someone may start your car in gear by mistake. The clutch vent valve is needed both for the cruise control to work and to stop the rpms from floating when you shift. You can wire them to the ECU, but I did it the hard way, pulling the whole dash harness from the donor. If it's not already listed in the thread, the AudiZine B5 section has the writeups to add the 2 switches.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Does look deep enough or should I have put it in deeper?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This is as far as it will go together, not gonna force it, gonna separate it to see what's up in there. Haven't really done anything. I lost my father last weekend to alzheimer disease, so not much time going in here. My mind is somewhere else and maybe did something wrong

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yup, shouldn't be wrenching right now 😒

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I've never had this happen to me on a clutch job, I've done quite a few, luckily this was for my car

21 - 40 of 82 Posts