Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2000 vw passat wagon 2001 audi a4 quattro 1992 Acura legend coupe 2006 Chevrolet silverado
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2000 passat 1.8t atw with tiptronic which is toast, and gonna start sourcing parts for a swap. Here is a list of what I think I'm gonna need, please let me know if im missing anything
Transmission
Mounts
Axles
Hubs
Shift linkage
Clutch- disc,plate, and flywheel with throw out bearing and pilot bearing
Pedal assembly
Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder with line
Shift boot and knob
Wire harness

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Here is some info that I think you will find helpful.

1.8L TRANSMISSION SWAP

Auto to manual conversion.

Here are 2 methods: (I suggest the first)

Using a V6 pilot bearing.
Does NOT require crankshaft modification, and will work with either DMFW or SMFW
Start at post #31.
YET another 5-speed swap - in progress

Using a 43mm Pilot Bearing
Does require crankshaft modification, and will NOT work with DMFW.
Biketsai's DIY Auto-to-Manual Conversion

Manual conversion.
NOTE: A 43mm Pilot Bearing requires some machining of the crankshaft, and can't be used with a DMFW.
(See post #15)

·
Registered
2000 vw passat wagon 2001 audi a4 quattro 1992 Acura legend coupe 2006 Chevrolet silverado
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info, appreciate it. That was the main concern of mine from reading posts concerning this swap.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,067 Posts
I went the V6 pilot bearing route. Worked like a charm.

Using a V6 pilot bearing.
Does NOT require crankshaft modification, and will work with either DMFW or SMFW
Start at post #31.
YET another 5-speed swap - in progress

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tomvw and VAGguy

Gonna try and make this a budget swap at 500 bucks
Going to a couple yards out today that aren't far from each other, I should be able to find all the parts I need except for the few which I'm gonna order new like the clutch assembly and pilot bearing (v6)

Hope all goes well....

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm sorta doing the same thing, but mine is an entire W8 drive train. Swapping out the auto for the manual, but I have an entire car to do so. I might try this with a 6spd on a V6 turbo car though. Would the two manual trans be able to just move one onto the other?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait. Why you asking that question on my thread, when it has nothing to do with my question/concern?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I found a passat 2001 1.8t AUG with 5dpd. Trans in it, almost got it out, going back today to finally get it out, ran out of time last time I went, but I have the axles out, the shift box with levers off.
But this might sound dumb but I'm still new to audi/vw cars but where the hell is the clutch master cylinder? And how do I get that pedal assy out? It's crazy up in there. Is there a thread or diy on how to get those two items out?

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
This is a good one to use apart from cutting the Tip cover and nearly starting a fire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you mean?

This is a good one to use apart from cutting the Tip cover and nearly starting a fire.

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
The kid who did it had a few issues, including the fire department coming by. It's still a good writeup, he was local to me and used my trans jack and engine support bar.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suggest you read both of the threads that I posted links for, and use the V6 pilot bearing.
I read the whole diy thread and paid very close attention to the part on pilot bearings. I used the part number he provided to order the bearing online.

I have taken everything I needed from a passat junkyard car except the wire harness for engine compartment. It was butchered up before I got there but I took the plugs for the two connectors for tranny in case.
Have everything disconnected or removed on engine, gonna start to do the same on tranny, so I can pull them out in one shot

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question about the clutch assembly, it came with the transmission complete, flywheel, plate and disc.
Gonna toss the disc and plate and have the flywheel resurfaced, but when I called around, I was quoted 100 to resurface and recommend that I buy a single mass flywheel. The whole kit with fw is pretty expensive and I'm already way over budget on this, but would you guys keep the dual mass and just replace the clutch or should I go aftermarket fw and clutch?

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
The dual mass is much smoother, the single mass is cheaper. You can pick up Valeo single mass kits pretty cheap. I kept the OEM dual mass when I did my swap and it was fine for the 20K+ I put on the car over 5+ years. You can always upgrade later if you are over budget.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I called a machine shop regarding resurfacing, they quickly pointed to go with a single instead. I think they didn't want to do that job because they asked if its broken first, then said it's alot of setting up to do for this flywheel. They want 100 just for resurfacing, im probably gonna have them do it

·
Registered
267 Posts
That sounds about right for a resurface. It is a lot of setup, and takes time definitely, but should be worth it. The dual mass will be smoother in engagement, so if you aren't going for gobs of performance and spirited driving then it should be okay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If my 01 audi a4 quattro awm has that same dual mass flywheel, then that's cool with me. I like the way the clutch engagement and shifting feels in that car. Smooth

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered a bunch of stuff including clutch last night, while I wait for parts to get here, gonna clean the engine bay now that motor and tranny are out, install the pedal assembly, shift box and couple things here and there. But wanted to know what to do with the wiring that went to auto tranny, there's two plugs with thick wiring going to inside under dash on driver side . Do they go to the tcm under carpet on passenger and what do I do with that as well. I have the two plug connectors that plug into manual tranny to wire into harness if possible.

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
Did you get the manual trans engine harness? If not, one plug needs to be tapped for the reverse lights. It should be shown in the writeups. If so, I cut the harness off just short of the entry point into the car. I also removed the TCM, but did not get rid of the wiring, it's too much hassle.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts