Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wolfsburg / Prague, 24 June 2004 - the results are out: the new Golf is the safest car that has have ever been tested by Euro NCAP. No other passenger vehicle achieved such a good overall result for the requirements in crash safety, pedestrian protection and child protection...

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_860.shtml

:shock: :bow:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow, I never realized that little cars like that can still be pretty darn safe. REALLY safe in this case. Now how can I convince the parents that cars don't have to be 4000 pounds and be huge sedans in order to be safe.

:thumbup: to VW!

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
No, I dont see it being at 4000 either. But from what I have read, the new V's are getting heavier, which I said, closer. Our cars tip the scales at about 3300. R32, 3400 give or take. I just have a feeling that once the cars hit US shores, they will tip in between 3300 and 3500, give or take. Pretty portly if ya ask me.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
No, I dont see it being at 4000 either. But from what I have read, the new V's are getting heavier, which I said, closer. Our cars tip the scales at about 3300. R32, 3400 give or take. I just have a feeling that once the cars hit US shores, they will tip in between 3300 and 3500, give or take. Pretty portly if ya ask me.
I know what you mean....

But our cars are not as heavy as you think...I weight 250lbs and with me in the car I weigh in at 3200lbs....

GTIs 1.8ts weigh about 2800-2900 lbs or so.....with AWD and VR6 I wouldnt be suprised if what you said would be the case. But if its the case with 2.0T.....that would be a big mistake from VW.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Woah did this whole discussion come from me saying "My 'rents thing that the only 'safe' cars out there are 4000 pounds?" I seriously doubt those things are anywhere near 4000 pounds, our SUV is like 4500 pounds, but I think that may not be total weight.......

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hmmm,
seems to have done as well as a Saab 9-3.
The VW scored so high because of pedestrian safety.
Since I don't drive much where there ae pedestrians, I'll take the Saab.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Pedestrian safety? :???: You mean it's least likely to hurt a pedestrian when it hits them? I don't understand. :suspicio:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Altair 4 said:
Bloody Hell -- those Brits have a great sense of humor! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.