Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here vaguely familiar with these things?
We are buying a house which is in a golf community, and just outside the gates is a nice shopping area.
I'm thinking we could buy a 4 passenger, electric golf cart to get us around to the shopping area and maybe up into town (maybe 1/2 mile up the road). Less wear and tear on the car, zero gas costs, and it would be cool to own one :D
if anyone has any insight into the world of Golf Carts (I did some searches and there is way too much info) I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The thing that I would do is go to a local, expensive country club. They tend to replace them with some regularity. At the end of the season you might be able to buy 1 fairly cheap that is still in good condition. The members all want the new carts so they only keep them for 4-5 years or so and ditch them. They will run much,much longer. I was a member at a course that gave the old ones to the grounds crew to use and some were 15-20 years old and still running.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just thought of this, but call the pro at the course your house is part of. They may be able to get you one at a discount if you want new

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I would look into the legallity of driving one on public roads. If the shopping center is outside the gates you may have a problem as most often they are not legal on public roadways.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!
So much insight into little electric cars!
I never thought to even ask at the clubhouse - although getting a 4 seater may be a problem if i go that route. It does sound like the most viable option - they couls probably service them too!

They are legal down there. What is not are the ones that are a bit bigger - IIRC, they are the ones Iacocca makes.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
hoypinoy1234 said:
You can get one of these:

DUDE! GEM cars are the way to go. They are a DaimlerChrysler, good or bad. http://www.gemcar.com/

Last year they were going for $2,995 everywhere. Now they're quite a bit more. They are street legal on roads under 35MPH and a blast to drive. I have spent a lot of time in these things:

72 Volt GE Motor
Front wheel drive direct - coupled Dana Spicer differential
Rack and Pinion Steering
Four Wheel Hydraulic Brakes
Laminated tinted automotive safety glass with wiper
Aluminum welded space frame using custom aluminum-alloy extrusions
Laminated tinted automotive safety glass with wiper
Quartz halogen headlights, front and rear turn signals, high mount rear brake and taillights
They have some very cool features compared to the basic golf cart. A few courses won't allow them on though, but most will if you have the turf tires.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Club Car is by far the best golf cart, a little more expensive, but will last longer and are much more comfortable.

EZ GO is the worst cart, very cheap.

i would definatly go club car. even if it is used

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
wheelmiester
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing