Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Castro Syntec 5w-50 is good for the hot summer months.

I don't hink Wally carry Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 grade, try your local Napa shop insteadl.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I got a 5 Quart jug at Walmart for 19 bucks. Mobile 1 10w40 the one with the Green Cap

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I don't think Wally carry Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 grade, try your local Napa shop.
I've never seen Synpower in the 5w-40 grade at Walmart. I just bought a 6 pack, though, at NAPA for $4.29/Qt.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you go with Mobil 1, go with Mobil 0w-40. Most of us here who go with Mobil 1 are using 0w-40. It meets all of VW certifications.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
5-30 or 0-40 Mobil is great. Both are a Class IV stock oil.....Castrol and Valvoline are both Class III I think.....My B5 has always had 5-30...just hit 100k last week.

Mobil 1 has served me great since 1977....I still see no reason to change. (though I am looking to switch to Delvac 1...it's a Mobil 1 for Big Trucks....meets all of our specs and I suspect even better Turbo protection)

·
Registered
665 Posts
caraudiofrk1006 said:
Phatdub said:
I got a 5 Quart jug at Walmart for 19 bucks. Mobile 1 10w40 the one with the Green Cap
you sure its 10w40 not 10w30 i just bought the 5 quart jug for my truck and its 10w30
the one with the green cap.. i switched from the red cap the 50

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mobil 1 Delvac (5w-40) is now also being sold as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV formula available at Walmart. Mobil 1 Delvac is popular amongst the TDI crowd and it is an excellent oil for gas or diesel engines. Now that it's at Walmart you don't have to go to truckstops to get it. Hell, it's even cheaper in the Truck & SUV packaging than the Delvac was. Now the only problem is my newly acquired 2004.5 Passat TDI PD requires the VW 505.01 oil spec (and while it's not clear if the Mobil 1 Delvac meets that spec or not - it is definitely not rated for that spec) - SO just when I can get the oil I use cheaper - I can't use that oil anymore!!!!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
im not sure about where you live but the 5q jug where i live is acutally a worse deal

its a few cents more per Q than just getting the singals

also the v6 holds 6.7 i think

·
Registered
487 Posts
JETninja said:
5-30 or 0-40 Mobil is great. Both are a Class IV stock oil.....Castrol and Valvoline are both Class III I think...quote]

This is very pertinent, the Class III base means that by the accepted meaning of Synthetic the Valvoline isn't really.

I just dumped another gallon of Mobil 1 0w40 in mine. I wonder what the dealer uses.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
bartonkj said:
Mobil 1 Delvac (5w-40) is now also being sold as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV formula available at Walmart. Mobil 1 Delvac is popular amongst the TDI crowd and it is an excellent oil for gas or diesel engines. Now that it's at Walmart you don't have to go to truckstops to get it. Hell, it's even cheaper in the Truck & SUV packaging than the Delvac was. Now the only problem is my newly acquired 2004.5 Passat TDI PD requires the VW 505.01 oil spec (and while it's not clear if the Mobil 1 Delvac meets that spec or not - it is definitely not rated for that spec) - SO just when I can get the oil I use cheaper - I can't use that oil anymore!!!!
Go to bobistheoilguy.com and research....TDI owners and the serious oil guys feel its fine for your TDI. (and my 1.8T) With the market they advertise too...no real benefit to applying to that specification...but looking at a breakdown of the oil compared to others it should easily surpass the spec.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.