Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to an estate sale/auction Sat. There will be all kinds of cool stuff, basically alot of old farm equipment and household things. I know the auctioneer and he gave me some heads up on some more desireable things.

1. 6 mission style rockers...the real deal.. 8)
2. 2 grandfather clocks..one really old Elgin
3. 2 Chev Impalla SS coupes
4. 1 2000 Ford F-150 Crew

The real reason I'm going

A brand new Audi A8L with 400mi on it.. :lol:

The widow still hasn't said if she will for sure put it up for auction. So I'm keeping my hopes up, I hope it rains cats and dogs so only the die-hards show. Most likely there will not be to many people there for the cars just the antiques and faming equip.

The A8 is completely loaded with basically everything but the big 19" chromies.

So what should my cap be on my bid?
I don't think I will go much over $50k.

Now don't get mad at me, but the only purpose of my going to the sale is to see if I can pick up a couple deals on cars for re-sale.

I'm especially interested in the 1963 Impalla SS coupe and the A8L. They have the best margin for re-sale and a good profit.

Any tips? Anyone else ever go to auctions?

Jason

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I used to when I lived back east, got a couple of nice old lamps, and lighters for my collection.

Best tip I can give you is to leave you hands in your pockets if it's not an item you really really want. :thumbup: :p :wink:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Know your max bid on any item. Do not go over it.

Bid low and bid quietly. Have your paddle up by the second "going", but usually not the first.

Keep your eyes on the room and other bidders. People who are serious will be looking at minute details of the pieces they are interested in. Try to get a feel for your competition.

Mission rockers are ok, but not as special as people would have you believe. My sister grabbed two offices full of Stickley that the Air Force was going to toss. The Elgin clock is a special piece and depending on condition could go for more than the A8.

You can ask the auctioneer if you may approach the widow with a preliminary bid or notice of interest. If she is willing to talk to you, she may sell directly.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
atomicalex said:
The Elgin clock is a special piece and depending on condition could go for more than the A8.

You can ask the auctioneer if you may approach the widow with a preliminary bid or notice of interest. If she is willing to talk to you, she may sell directly.
Good points. Yeah the Elgin is impecible..the only scuffs are on the base from getting slid around on the floor over the years.

I hadn't even thought about buying directly, good point.

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
Do you have tha address for the sale ;)

Best tip i can give "Don't loose something for a $10 bid."
If you want it, go get it.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I have an address, but I'm shrewd with things like that. I want to be the only one there.. :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
atomicalex said:
Bid low and bid quietly. Have your paddle up by the second "going", but usually not the first.

Keep your eyes on the room and other bidders. People who are serious will be looking at minute details of the pieces they are interested in. Try to get a feel for your competition.
very true.... and don't forget to NOT look "too interested" in any particular thing. If people see you checking out the car the whole time and then you're the main bidder, even if they don't want it, they'll start bidding because they think that if you think it's worth bidding on, then they should too. At my last auction I found an old bottle of Avon shaped like a beetle. I was second bidder and went to $2, it got up to $4 and then someone saw that there were two of us that really wanted this thing, so they jumped in for $5, the other person $6 and then the new person to $7 and it truely shouldn't have gone that high.......so act "Un-Interested".

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WhiteB5Wagon said:
very true.... and don't forget to NOT look "too interested" in any particular thing. ......so act "Un-Interested".
So how does one act un-interested in an Audi A8L? :lol:

I've already looked everything over, a friend of mines the auctioneer handling the sale so I kinda get a sneek peek on these sales. So I should be able to sit and behave. I plan to sit way in the back so I can watch for the ones who bid high on some of the other items and decide if they look like the type that would bid on the cars. I'm getting there early to just watch and observe what the other bidders drive for vehicles (ie..expensive or junk) as well as how they dress to see if there are any other contenders.

I won't know till I get there in the morning wether the A8 will be on the block or not. I made her an offer last night but she was still undecided. I told her that it could go for less if she puts it up and she said that's fine, its a chance she has to take. So it does sound like she is seriously considering selling it.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
good luck!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Had all kinds of transactions come together at once.

Well it rained cats and dogs....whoooohooo!!!

I'm the proud owner of an Audi A8L..... :bow: :bow: :bow: This car rocks!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

It's currently for sale if anyone's interested.

My only purpose in buying it was for resale, so don't flame me.

I'll post pics real soon.

Jason

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Thumber said:
I'm the proud owner of an Audi A8L..... :bow: :bow: :bow: This car rocks!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

Heheheheh... Apparently you don't love it THAT much enough to keep it... ;)
Didja get anything else? What years were those Impala's? Old school or new school?

Im sure that A8L will go for plenty... what do you plan of getting with the cabbage you make of it :)?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I reallllly love it, but I bought it just to flip it.

I bought a whole entire box of 8-tracks..for $10 :lol:

The Impalla's were a 1958 2-door hardtop w/348 tri-power, and a 1963 2-door w/327 both in perfect unrestored condition. The 58' went for more than I paid for the A8..but that really didn't suprise me since there were a dozen trucks with trailers and they all were from resto shops. So that's exactly what they came for. When they sold every one of those guys left.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Pics!!!!!!! 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
Flippped
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing