Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need your help again, i m thinking on going to a muffler shop and take out the old pipes from my b5 and put new ones, i m just gonna run a pipe from the cat back straight to the end and i m thinking what it would sound like would it be to loud or is good like that ???????????????

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It's going to be way loud on a V6, not so bad if it's a 1.8T. I'd recommend putting in a glasspack in place of the suitcase resonator, will sound better than just a straight pipe. :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it s a 1.8t, what i m thinking is that just straight pipe and just the dtm tips at the end but i ll see if i can get a glasspack before going

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i change my muffler and it sounds a little bit bad i did put 2 1/4 pipes and a glasspack but it s not sounding like i thought i probably take the glasspack out and see how it sounds then

·
Registered
351 Posts
dont run just straight pipe, itll prolly sound nasty and be really raspy and loud. i would suggest runnin pipe from the cat back to a flowmaster or comprable muffler. itll keep it quietish, while retaining a nice growl even from a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have this setup:

Turbo -> Catalyst -> 2.5" pipe -> Thrush 22" glasspack (mounted in mid-pipe section) -> Cutout/dump located under rear passenger seat -> 2.25" pipe -> stock muffler

With the cutout open (eliminates 2.25" pipe and stock muffler) it sounds good (no rasp) and isn't painfully loud. With the windows up and the cutout open the volume does get annoying after a few minutes. I think it'd be reasonable though if I removed the stock muffler and just ran 2.5" pipe all the way back so that it dumps behind the car instead of right underneath it.

Performance-wise I think removing the resonator was the biggest improvement. My 1.8t used to run out of breath as it approached redline and now pulls all the way to redline (even with the dump closed).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts