Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are going back to the VW dealer tonight to discuss the Passat purchase more. We're looking at a new TL first, but I'm not expecting too much out of that after a side by side comparison. Anyway, got a couple of other questions about the B6.....

The grill. I H-A-T-E that chrome monstrosity on the front. I presume it easily comes off as I've seen pics, but is it metal or plastic. Reason I ask is for painting/powdercoating purposes, maybe even a dip in black chrome.

Second, what performance mods are available for the 3.6??? I know the 1.8/2.0T motors have a big aftermarket, but what about the V6 guys?? Things we'd like to get are cat-back, headers, CAI (your basic bolt on's), maybe a turbo kit if the price is right (although I don't thik 11:1 compression is too condusive without running an methanol kit on it).

If you can't tell, we like to play with our cars, and this one is going to be no different.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Mmm... the grill in black chrome on a dark colored car would be sexy. The 3.6L engine is going to be difficult to find mods for since its such a new engine - and since almost everyone else is still getting the 3.2L I suspect its going to be tough for some time.

Good luck with your shopping and great idea on the black chrome for the grill. First I've heard anyone suggest that but then again, I don't get around the B6 forums all that often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm........I wonder if the plastic piece can be dipped in the black chrome. I just don't like that huge chrome grill. Black chrome on Union Grey would be nice though.......

Of course, if I can talk her into a Candy White car, I'm going to shoot for the look of the R-GT model. That things drop dead gorgeous.

On a positive side note, I think we may be keeping the 00 LS for me as a driver and getting rid of our "commuter" 99 Celica GT. I just can't stand to let that LS go because I like it so much.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
I don't understand the newfound fascination with chrome, after automakers mercifully abandoned it in the 1980s and 1990s.
___
Disclosure: I live 1 km downwind of the world's largest body of salt water; chrome plating is the first thing to deteriorate on my cars and bicycles.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Fastbird said:
Hmmmm........I wonder if the plastic piece can be dipped in the black chrome. I just don't like that huge chrome grill. Black chrome on Union Grey would be nice though.......

Of course, if I can talk her into a Candy White car, I'm going to shoot for the look of the R-GT model. That things drop dead gorgeous.

On a positive side note, I think we may be keeping the 00 LS for me as a driver and getting rid of our "commuter" 99 Celica GT. I just can't stand to let that LS go because I like it so much.
Black Chrome from the Passat Indvidual

1 - 6 of 6 Posts