Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
So low, I gotsta drive 3 miles to get around the s
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Updating..

I went to a muffler shop today and got there at 11 am. I left at 6:15 pm with my new turbo back exhaust custom made....

I sat in the middle of a shop in another city for 7 hours!!!!! To get a jacked up exhaust... only cost me $200 though

I'll post pics tomorrow in my show room thread, but heres the story

My exhaust is 3inch test pipe > 3 inchDown Pipe > 2.5 inch Stright pipe to the back with one 18in Long Resonator.

He put to small of a resonater in so it's way to loud going to add 1 more smaller one tomorrow at a local muffler shop at the back... like a 12 inch one.

I'm no genious on exhaust but I'm learning little by little and as I'm driving away from this place with my exhaust, I get up into higher RPMs and my car is bogging everywhere it's having trouble keeping a steady idle it runs crapy smoke is coming out the back it smells like a freakin go kart derby in my car cause of fumes!!!

soo I drove to my buds house showed him eveyrthing.. We pop the hood and find he left the o2 sensors just hanging in the engine..... He didn't drill holes and put it back into the test pipe!!!!! THe Car is running super rich and I'm going to a muffler places tomorrow and getting the holes drilled and bungs put in to hold the sensors.... I feel dumb for not even noticing there was no sensor placement in the new set up.

So now I got a loud gas guzzling passat. :( sigh...hopefully tomorrow it will be all fixed.

and I'm having him replace the gasket for the turbo inlet cause this dude didn't....

So yeah just beware a nd make sure you're exhaust is done right! thanks for reading. I'll post a ton of pics in my showroom thread tomorrow for those who want to see

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Gnar, how are you going to get your car through the most stringent emissions testing in the country with that setup? From what I hear, you have to have a CA certified cat installed by an authorized shop - certainly no provision for NO converter. Come to think of it, what kind of shop will install a setup that's not legal?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
What's the point of spending extra cash on the 3in pipe only to have it turn into 2.5in pipe?
The compression and turbulence at the transition makes it sound "extra cool"?

- Hacked together, loud exhaust that makes the car run bad: $200
- Original, quiet exhaust that works OK: Free.

So hard to choose...

·
Registered
469 Posts

So hard to choose...
More flow right after the turbo :hmmm: Do you have no mods? Cars work OK, the point of modifying isn't to fix something broken.

@Gnar i'm guessing you were going just for sound right? no mandrel bends? That was a little silly not to find out about the o2 bungs but best of luck with the setup, once its all good you'll love your Passat even more. Personally I think you should get a big muffler on the end and skip the resonator.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Eh? I did a 2.5" DP/TP to 2.25" catback system for my Talon with a 2L turbo that pushed way more air than a Passat, and it worked fine. Sounded nice and deep with the right muffler as well. No fumes...

A larger DP/TP can work because they DO increase flow, and exhaust gasses are at their hottest (and have the most volume) as they exit the turbo. The gasses contract as they cool, so don't need as large a pipe to flow through. You also can calculate exhaust pulse-widths and such...but it tends to be more luck than anything unless you know the calculations. ;)

Gnar, most resonator-only systems are fairly loud, even more if you can't get the tip out from underneath the car. As to how it runs, that's more likely the O2 sensors and such. The only way the exhaust would do that to you would be if it was REALLY restricted.

·
Registered
731 Posts
ya, Instead of throwing another resonator inline, just add a nice street series muffler on the end.. it's give it a nice deep sound and stop most of the drone your hearing.
After you fix the O2 sensor it sound better no matter what tho. good luck.. can't wait to see it.

PS: also interested in how your cat-less system will do in Cali. Never had any experience with this but everyone who knows exhausts knows how bad Cali is when it comes to emissions.

·
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah.... Come 2 years ( I was just smogged) I will have to have my cat and old down pipe welded to flanges so I can put it back in problasby get a new cat.. and THey put the wrong size resonatoer in there. THey put an 18 inch and I need a 30 inch and I just bought it. and I know it's load and thats how I want it as well as there's almost dno drone at cruising it's amazing :)

I know many people frown upon loud exhaust here but when it's all done It iwll hopefully have a nice sound. and yeah I'm bringing it to another shop and they can put the bungs in for 100.

annnnnnnd, I have a 3inch to go to a 2.5 so there is better breathing right off the turbo cause thats where all thepower is made when you clear up right after the turbo.. so thats why I did 3 inch I wanted to get the most power I could out of it... I car about sound but not as much as I care about the power gains...

·
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So hard to choose...

trust me if I knew he was going to jack it up and put the wrong size resonater in there. I wouldn;t have spent the money.. and I waa mainly hoping for big preformance gains.

next time you run into crappy situation I'll make sure to be there to let you know you ARE in a crappy situation..

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
Gnar, how are you going to get your car through the most stringent emissions testing in the country with that setup? From what I hear, you have to have a CA certified cat installed by an authorized shop - certainly no provision for NO converter. Come to think of it, what kind of shop will install a setup that's not legal?
Some of us have our ways of getting past smog, keep in mind in CA, the smog testing is independent. Benjamin Franklin and Ulysses Grant are known to be very persuasive in getting your exhaust a passing grade... :lol:

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
ah the joys of CT, 2 year smog check and "visual" last time i took my passat i had a CAT on it and they still couldnt find it :lol: they gave up after a little bit and just plugged it in and passed it

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Right now i am trying to find a shop to do my exhaust. Looks like they will not put a "used" cat in a car. Used meaning not sealed in a box. I have a tech high flow cat that I want installed and custom 2.5". After that, it is all visual checks. Which, don't mean anything because my cat doesn't have a "plate" that saids it is legal. (I am quoting what the shop claims they look for).

can't wait for the photos man. hope it turns out good.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unless you are making more than 600HP a 3 inch exhaust is absurdly too large!! The stock catalyst is enough flow to easily make more than 350HP and most aftermarket cats actually flow less.2.5 inch is actually slightly too large,but real popular.It sounds like you found a real hack muffler shop.Reinstall your original cat,and get a real exhaust!!

Dick Shine

·
Banned
9,939 Posts
the man himself speaking!!! :bowdown:

(for those who dont know Dick Shine = Shine Racing Shine Racing= I beat you)
Unless you are making more than 600HP a 3 inch exhaust is absurdly too large!! The stock catalyst is enough flow to easily make more than 350HP and most aftermarket cats actually flow less.2.5 inch is actually slightly too large,but real popular.It sounds like you found a real hack muffler shop.Reinstall your original cat,and get a real exhaust!!

Dick Shine

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Some of us have our ways of getting past smog, keep in mind in CA, the smog testing is independent. Benjamin Franklin and Ulysses Grant are known to be very persuasive in getting your exhaust a passing grade... :lol:
That still works in this modern, over-regulated, paranoid world? I haven't bribed an emissions tester in over 25 years...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont know how they do it in cali, but in PA you plug into the OBD Connector. So as long as the readiness monitors run except one (cat), depending on what year it is, you would still get a sticker. In PA i dont think there is even a way to fake a pass the emissions machine reads VIN number and everything. I know 2 guys who lost their license trying to fake an emissions test.

What do you mean by independently run? PA any shop can do emissions but the info is ran through the state. Just kinda curious how it's done out there.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Just kinda curious how it's done out there.
Like you said for PA, in CA they hook into the OB2 port, run the car at various speeds on a roller while sequencing through the tests, data uploads to the state. Pay your bucks to the shop, then send a check to the state for that year's license fee.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts