Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was announced that the GM "230" campaign was meant to alert consumers that the Chevy Volt is going to get a city mileage rating of 230 mpg.

Is that enough to get your attention?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
230 miles per Gallon??? how :hmmm:
Easy, if you drive within the limits of electric-only, you will never need to run the gas engine to generate power. You could say that the car is capable of infinite mpg if you never run the gas engine.

Maybe the 230 mpg comes from the equivalent amount of fuel burned at a power plant to charge up the car.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- 40 miles all electric (no gas used)
- With gas engine running (to charge battery), 50mpg

Assumes a daily commute of 51 miles (round trip) with overnight recharging each evening.

51 miles = 40 miles elec + 11 miles @ 50mpg (0.22 gallons)

51 miles / 0.22 gal = 232 mpg

Again, that's the city rating. As you get into longer and longer trips without recharging, the MPG will drop. Even a highway trip of 300 miles would get something close to 60mpg (assuming starting off with a full charge).

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
It doesn't look half bad. Better looking than a Prius... rather Civic Si looking front.

My daily commute is well under 50 miles.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,590 Posts
It's not about saving money on gas, it's saving gas. I tell all my clients if they want a hybrid, get it to save gas (and lower emmissions per mile) or put a fake "green" face on their company, not save money on gas. The break even point is well past my clients' lifecycle for these. Unfortunately, I cannot tell them about how much pollution is spewed into the air in the mining and production of the NiMh for the batteries

That said, it looks good, probably carries a good govt rebate/tax incentive.

·
rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
1,526 Posts
alteast it does not look to bad, except for that ugly gold thing on the front grill... debadging would be a must....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wow! It has an electric range of 40 miles!

That's progress!

:rolleye:
That's not the point. I don't know the exact number, but MOST cars driven daily go fewer than 40 miles per day. So why bog down the car with a TON of batteries that aren't really needed anyway? And the beauty of a car that can run 40 miles on batteries, and has the ability to go an infinite distance with the use of a gas-powered generator is brilliant. MUCH better than a car that can go 150, or 200, or 500 miles on batteries alone. Because once the batteries run dead, you need to spend hours charging them.

The point of the car is this: It will get most commuters to and from work every day without ever needing to run the gas engine. You plug it into the outlet at night to top off the charge. And yes... power is made with fossil fuels too, but I'm fairly certian electricity to power a car is cheaper and greener than the same amount of gas required to drive the same miles.

So yes... it's progress!

And without the early entries into hybrid and alt fuel cars like the first models that everyone points at and says "that's stupid", we would not have progress. Just think about the first cars... I'm sure people thought they were stupid, expensive, and a waste of time considering everyone had perfectly good horses, wagons, and feet.

Do you still ride to work in a horse and carriage?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
That's not the point. I don't know the exact number, but MOST cars driven daily go fewer than 40 miles per day. So why bog down the car with a TON of batteries that aren't really needed anyway? And the beauty of a car that can run 40 miles on batteries, and has the ability to go an infinite distance with the use of a gas-powered generator is brilliant. MUCH better than a car that can go 150, or 200, or 500 miles on batteries alone. Because once the batteries run dead, you need to spend hours charging them.

The point of the car is this: It will get most commuters to and from work every day without ever needing to run the gas engine. You plug it into the outlet at night to top off the charge. And yes... power is made with fossil fuels too, but I'm fairly certian electricity to power a car is cheaper and greener than the same amount of gas required to drive the same miles.

So yes... it's progress!

And without the early entries into hybrid and alt fuel cars like the first models that everyone points at and says "that's stupid", we would not have progress. Just think about the first cars... I'm sure people thought they were stupid, expensive, and a waste of time considering everyone had perfectly good horses, wagons, and feet.

Do you still ride to work in a horse and carriage?
lol, 100 years ago 50 miles was ordeal.
50 years ago it was a weekend trip.
Now its a commute.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
lol, 100 years ago 50 miles was ordeal.
50 years ago it was a weekend trip.
Now its a commute.
and 50 years from now we'll be working at spacely sprockets, or cogswell cogs :whistle:

anywho, this whole 230 thing sounds pretty bogus, but it WOULD make sense if the gasoline recharge motor is NOT connected to the powertrain.

truth be told, all hybrid cars have the engine powering the vehicle mechanically, which of course sucks down the power it puts down, and it still has to recharge that ginormous battery unit. this really sounds a LOT like what the EV (electromotor vehicle) guys have been doing for quite some time (when they get pissed enough having to recharge every 20 miles :lol: )

all that crap aside, the priec tag is absurd. they need to just put the caddy logo on it, then there would be no issues. seriously, it looks close enough to the caddies, has nice lines, and a huge price tag. that will sell WITHOUT interruption. putting a 40k price tag on a chevrolet CAR? HAH! hell no.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
and 50 years from now we'll be working at spacely sprockets, or cogswell cogs :whistle:

anywho, this whole 230 thing sounds pretty bogus, but it WOULD make sense if the gasoline recharge motor is NOT connected to the powertrain.

truth be told, all hybrid cars have the engine powering the vehicle mechanically, which of course sucks down the power it puts down, and it still has to recharge that ginormous battery unit. this really sounds a LOT like what the EV (electromotor vehicle) guys have been doing for quite some time (when they get pissed enough having to recharge every 20 miles :lol: )

all that crap aside, the priec tag is absurd. they need to just put the caddy logo on it, then there would be no issues. seriously, it looks close enough to the caddies, has nice lines, and a huge price tag. that will sell WITHOUT interruption. putting a 40k price tag on a chevrolet CAR? HAH! hell no.

The Volt does not have any connection between the gasoline engine and the road.
The gas motor is only there to recharge.

EDIT - I remembered that the gas motor DOES NOT even RECHARGE the batterries, but directly powers the electric motors.
It must be plugged into AC to recharge.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
en doing for quite some time (when they get pissed enough having to recharge every 20 miles :lol: )

In a world where Hyundai is selling as top line Genesis for $44K, the Equus for $55K, an A4 with a 4 banger for $45K, that $40 K price tag isn't so outrageous. Heck, a loaded Prius is almost $30K and IMO this car will be much more substantial - both from a size standpoint and impact standpoint - that the $10K difference will be negligible.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Typical "it's not Germanz yo" replies

Wow! It has an electric range of 40 miles!

That's progress!

:rolleye:
It's better then anything else out there. Keep in mind that MOST people don't drive more then 40 miles (me included).

BUT I don't like the marketing GM is doing.....whatever.

Cadis are not overpriced (first off).

And nothing wrong with Chevy name...it's just your perception.

In a world where Hyundai is selling as top line Genesis for $44K,
Genesis for $44k is a STEAL....if you compare it to competition.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
In a world where Hyundai is selling as top line Genesis for $44K, the Equus for $55K, an A4 with a 4 banger for $45K, that $40 K price tag isn't so outrageous. Heck, a loaded Prius is almost $30K and IMO this car will be much more substantial - both from a size standpoint and impact standpoint - that the $10K difference will be negligible.
a loaded Prius will cost >30k atleast here in the NW... at 40k I think this is a decent price point for the technology...

and VAGuy hit it on the head.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Back on topic...

The marketing talent should be fired. It looks like 23 MPG with a happy outlet next to it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts