Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was lookin around and i came across the audi a6 2.7L twin turbo and got to thinkin hmm would that engine bolt into my glx 2.8 :p any thoughts and input?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
umm lot of work, you would need the tranny more then likley along with TCM and ECU want all the wiring to make the guages work an what not.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It fits, but there's a lot of work. Plus you still ahve the problems with 2.7TT.
You're better off:
Buying an S4
Buying an S/C

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
umm lot of work, you would need the tranny more then likley along with TCM and ECU want all the wiring to make the guages work an what not.
x2

it is a lot of work and requires custom fabrication. any competent shop that takes on a project like this is going to charge you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my motor has 127k on it not sure how much life is left in it hopefully plenty but who knows just wondering what my options when it goes out :)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
and how much for installation and custom fab? i'm guessing at least $10,000 for a quality job, if not more.
QFT
$3500 is only a bargin if you can
a: do the work yourself (which would require years of experence)
b: afford to lose your car for a long time and face reliability issues.

127,000? You have plenty of miles left on a 2.8L

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
well my motor has 127k on it not sure how much life is left in it hopefully plenty but who knows just wondering what my options when it goes out :)
Motors don't wear out. The piston rings, the crankshaft bearings, and the valve guides wear out. These can all be replaced. To kill a motor you have to physically damage it by throwing a rod or something like that. The rings may last til 200,000 miles, at which point it would be reasonable to replace them if the rest of the car still works.

As for the rubber and plastic parts, that's a whole different matter. At 127,000 miles, your engine could benefit from having all the hoses and gaskets stripped and replaced, and your air/fuel/exhaust sensors could also use replacement or thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i doubt my motor will go tomorrow im just wondering what kind of stuff is available for swaps and what not on these cars :D

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
QFT
$3500 is only a bargin if you can
a: do the work yourself (which would require years of experence)
b: afford to lose your car for a long time and face reliability issues.
even if you do the install yourself, you'd still need to custom fab parts, unless you also had a quality machine shop at your disposal.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
That the only thing that gets me about the cars, It not like a chevy s-10 were you can toss a 350 small block in for next to nothing, and an ls1 for under 10G

·
Registered
613 Posts
does anybody remember the name of the guy that swapped a 2.7tt into his white ( it think) wagon and sold it a couple of months ago??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts