Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 V6, 2.8L - The latch on my glove box door broke again yesterday. I repaired it 3-4 years ago, pulling it apart and gluing it back together. I don't wish to do that again and figure it's time to just replace it. (I also want to spend the money on some other impending repairs.) My dashboard is black and VW has discontinued glove box doors in black. I'm only finding them in beige. I'm not too interested in "parting out" sources as the door and latch has the same amount of aging as mine. I'm seeing several aftermarket options on Amazon and Ebay for $35-50 (SCITOO, CCIYU, and various other amalgams). They all have the same five pictures of the door. I'm figuring the doors are manufactured in the same three factories in Shenzen, China. I don't have a problem with that, per se, aftermarket is what it is. I ran a search on the forum here and did not find anything. My question: does anyone have any recent good experience with glove box doors from these Chinese or East Asian aftermarket companies? If not the glove box, then any experience with interior fittings or molded parts from them? I'm hoping one is a little better than the others. If no one has any perspective, then I guess I'll be the guinea pig and report back later. No worries.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Man I need that 3d printer like now.

I have the same issue with my 1998 GLS and my wife's 2003 GLX. Both cars have the glove box latch handle broken off.
I've just been biding my time until I do finally get my 3D printer.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think I have a complete black glove box 'in reserve' in my parts stash. If you change your mind on used parts let me know since I'm trying to reduce my pile-o-parts since I'm down to 2 wagons and only one is black.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
I've had good luck with driver's side door handles from China and window regulators. I would not worry about a used part from a cooler climate, our plastic down here takes a beating compared to those in cooler places. I also would buy the new one from China if needed.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I would not worry about a used part from a cooler climate, our plastic down here takes a beating compared to those in cooler places.
You've got a real point there. I didn't have any problems with stuff just coming apart or breaking until I came down here.

Not that I'm keeping score...
But here's a list of things that have literally just came apart on my cars since moving down here.

My 1998 GLS.
Shifter knob - cracked beyond recognition
Rear view mirror - fell off the windshield
Coolant reservoir - came apart from cracking in excessive heat
Radio face plate - crumbled like cigar ashes
Center dash bezel - peeled off, once it started peeling it fell off within days
Steering wheel - top section of steering wheel is starting to crumble
Cup holder(s) - rubber pieces that 'hold' the cup disintegrated
Glove box - latch handle literally fell off
Head liner - I had the headliner redone in WI in 2017 shortly before moving here - it's already starting to fall off
Door card fabric - hanging by the sheer outer edges
Manual heater and a/c control panel - fan switch literally crumbled one day when I turned on the a/c
Door seals - fabric on both front door seals just fell off
Headlights - the sun down here attacked the surface of the headlight lens so fast I had to replace them.
Windshield wiper blades - plastic connection point broke off the metal arms

My wife's 2003 GLX
Shifter handle (automatic) - cracked beyond recognition and rendered useless
Glove box - latch handle fell off just like mine
Door rub strip - one of the exterior door rub strips starting falling off
Headlights - same as mine, you can almost see them clouding up and turning yellow by the day

My W8
Dome light panel - just the other day I went into the car and noticed both push button dome light switches have completely come apart
Shifter knob - the 6 speed 'H' pattern emblem fell off

So yeah...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
A few parts I've bought ended up being OEM Chinese domestic market parts. Aliexpress and the like. I'd take the plunge.

On my Wife's Q5, someone broke the passenger side dash vent. USED on eBay, they were close to $100 each. Went to Aliexpress and bought one for $45 shipped. Yes, it took a few weeks, but to my surprise, it was in an Audi box. It was identical in every way to the broken one (except it was unbroken) and had all matching part numbers. So, you can find OEM stuff for really cheap if you don't mind waiting and you are relentless in searching, like me.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have a complete black glove box 'in reserve' in my parts stash. If you change your mind on used parts let me know since I'm trying to reduce my pile-o-parts since I'm down to 2 wagons and only one is black.
Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to try the Chinese aftermarket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had good luck with driver's side door handles from China and window regulators. I would not worry about a used part from a cooler climate, our plastic down here takes a beating compared to those in cooler places. I also would buy the new one from China if needed.
Thanks, PZ. I've tried to focus on the German aftermarket parts and had good luck. Dorman is the one that's been problematic over the years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've got a real point there. I didn't have any problems with stuff just coming apart or breaking until I came down here.

Not that I'm keeping score...
But here's a list of things that have literally just came apart on my cars since moving down here.

My 1998 GLS.
Shifter knob - cracked beyond recognition
Rear view mirror - fell off the windshield
Coolant reservoir - came apart from cracking in excessive heat
Radio face plate - crumbled like cigar ashes
Center dash bezel - peeled off, once it started peeling it fell off within days
Steering wheel - top section of steering wheel is starting to crumble
Cup holder(s) - rubber pieces that 'hold' the cup disintegrated
Glove box - latch handle literally fell off
Head liner - I had the headliner redone in WI in 2017 shortly before moving here - it's already starting to fall off
Door card fabric - hanging by the sheer outer edges
Manual heater and a/c control panel - fan switch literally crumbled one day when I turned on the a/c
Door seals - fabric on both front door seals just fell off
Headlights - the sun down here attacked the surface of the headlight lens so fast I had to replace them.
Windshield wiper blades - plastic connection point broke off the metal arms

My wife's 2003 GLX
Shifter handle (automatic) - cracked beyond recognition and rendered useless
Glove box - latch handle fell off just like mine
Door rub strip - one of the exterior door rub strips starting falling off
Headlights - same as mine, you can almost see them clouding up and turning yellow by the day

My W8
Dome light panel - just the other day I went into the car and noticed both push button dome light switches have completely come apart
Shifter knob - the 6 speed 'H' pattern emblem fell off

So yeah...
I would list my parts that have degenerated in Texas, but I'd probably make myself depressed. The last few years has seen the burled wood lining falling off or coming loose around the interior. Simple re-glue fixes it. The UV rays and moisture destroying my paint job is my big rock this winter to fix. The car still runs great, but it's looking pretty shabby.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few parts I've bought ended up being OEM Chinese domestic market parts. Aliexpress and the like. I'd take the plunge.

On my Wife's Q5, someone broke the passenger side dash vent. USED on eBay, they were close to $100 each. Went to Aliexpress and bought one for $45 shipped. Yes, it took a few weeks, but to my surprise, it was in an Audi box. It was identical in every way to the broken one (except it was unbroken) and had all matching part numbers. So, you can find OEM stuff for really cheap if you don't mind waiting and you are relentless in searching, like me.
View attachment 101564
View attachment 101566
View attachment 101565
Thanks for the advice, I'll dig a little deeper.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts