Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot about this place. There was a time that I visited multiple times per day, starting with ClubB5, even after I traded my Colorado Red 1999 Passat 1.8T GLS (purchased CPO in 2003 with 39k miles on it).

I don't know why I remembered it now but I still see B5/B5.5 Passats once in awhile. I even saw mine in 2008, two years after I traded it in but before moving to Chicago. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner but I hoped it was more reliable for them than it was for me. After trading it in, I told my wife to shoot me if I ever bought another VW. That's how badly that car had soured my opinion of VW. Initially, at least, it felt good to trade it in. It was a relief.

I don't say that to bash my B5, your B5 or VW in general. I say it to lend appropriate weight to what comes next:

I still look around for them.

Every few months, I do a search on Autotrader for a manual W8 (like this one) or TDI wagon.

I do it and I seriously consider what it would take to get it up to snuff, to make it a reliable daily driver. The upgrades I would do... a mild drop, Bilstien shocks, euro headlight switch, chip if it's a force-fed engine, small emergency kit in the trunk with extra coil packs, control arms, fuses, relays, a few quarts of each fluid. If it were a 1.8T, an extra 710N, timing belt kit, a PCV system and some AutoRX.

I think about all those things and they don't bother me anymore because they are what I've gotten used to as an gearhead that takes his RX-8 to the track as often as his budget allows.

It's been over 14 years since I bought my B5, not long after I got married. I was just learning about cars then. If it hadn't been for everybody here (Sharky, AtomicAlex, Ash78, mfitz, AndreasPassat, Urlik, 20vvillain, PZ, SteveInChicago, vuvision, Sal29 and so many others) I probably would have gone broke and insane. Some are still around but most have faded away. I still see at least one member (Ashman78) posting on TheTruthAboutCars.com from time to time.

In many ways, my life is wildly different now. I was an IT consultant living in a semi-rural college town back then. I was under-educated, underpaid and unwittingly in the wrong career field. I'm still married to the same woman (FSM knows why she stuck with me) but I'm an analytical chemist in Chicago now. I spend most of my time fixing my own equipment rather than other peoples' and that's a much better place to be.

After my B5, I jumped into a Scion tC. And then my friend let me take a joyride in his new Mazda RX-8. It's a good thing that those Scions were severely supply-constrained and dealer prices were pinned at MSRP because I was able to trade it in on an RX-8 after 3 months and broke even. I love my RX-8 but for daily driving comfort and convenience, I missed the B5. The closest I got was a 2009 Infiniti G37x Sedan. That was pretty much the modern Asian interpretation of the Passat W8 and it was good. I highly recommend the 2nd gen G-series as an alternative to a 15 year old VW. The Infiniti was traded in on a Mazda CX-3 because we wanted something that was smaller (downtown Chicago life) and more useful (hatchback, yo!).

But I still have a stupidly unreliable car that I would feel lost without. I still rely on the knowledge of others to keep it on the road only now I know a lot more and am able to give back to the rotard community in a way I was never able to here.

Thanks ClubB5/PassatWorld. You guys were awesome. You guys are awesome, wherever you are.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
You should see Jay's W8. :D
Now your just teasing me.
Any pics available?
Mine is in a storage bunker until next year. :thumbdown

·
Registered
4,668 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
It still amazes me VW ever built that car. Even more so that they brought it into the US.
No kidding. It was a very bold move on VW's part with very high risk. I guess that's why I'm intrigued by it and own one.
Kinda like the Triumph TR7 in the early 80's. Triumph, (British Leyland) was on the cusp of collapse as a motor car company and then they decide to do a last ditch effort and produce the TR8.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Oooooooooooooooh yeah......check in clubb5 brothas!!!!

Man it's been a long time and I've never been part of another forum since leaving here......so where have ya'll been at?

I went from Greta to a Volvo S80 (thought my family was getting bigger)
Went from the S80 to an 07 stage 3 WRX and over to nasioc
Went from the WRX to a MK6 Golf TDI and over to TDIclub
Went from the TDI after VW bought it back to a MKIV GLI and over to the 'tex (only for parts).

Can't post pics of.....Gretyl :).....from work, but will at home.

Let the veterans come out of the woodwork!

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
Funny how we were just talking about this....right Scott? SO I decided to jump on and look at my last real thread I started, which was saying goodbye to Big Red:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showroom/392978-after-12-years-ownership.html

I went from a B5.5 to a Mk6 GTI 4-Door. Unlike you, I haven't been car whoring it up :p

From the OP's write-up here...OMG SAL29!!!! Did we ever find the true identity of that guy? I still remember my smoking meat thread:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/off-topic-forum/236727-smoking-meat-my-first-attempt.html

Always remember James (R36Dreams) bumping the thread regarding the member who died in the 9/11 attacks (Goldfinger I think his name was)

Have we ever concluded what the best tune is, APR or Revo?

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
Funny how we were just talking about this....right Scott? SO I decided to jump on and look at my last real thread I started, which was saying goodbye to Big Red:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showroom/392978-after-12-years-ownership.html

I went from a B5.5 to a Mk6 GTI 4-Door. Unlike you, I haven't been car whoring it up :p

From the OP's write-up here...OMG SAL29!!!! Did we ever find the true identity of that guy? I still remember my smoking meat thread:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/off-topic-forum/236727-smoking-meat-my-first-attempt.html

Always remember James (R36Dreams) bumping the thread regarding the member who died in the 9/11 attacks (Goldfinger I think his name was)

Have we ever concluded what the best tune is, APR or Revo?

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
^ Pete! No more wheel whoring for me....that or people are slow to buy my current wheels LOL. My question is where is Sharky? What happened to Raven or Pablo? vwb5t (Matt) is still being the mad scientist up in CT....he also found a unicorn.....4mo 1.8T manual.....

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
I think Pablo popped out some kids and we lost Raven to the MD bike scenePete and I ran into Fookie at Cars and Coffee at Audi HQ a couple weeks back.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Fookie! Dang! There's an old name.....wasn't he the one that blew out an axle and had to get his car towed en route to Dan's house? Or was he the one that ran over a 2x4 on the highway? Yeah James, your new profile pic is waaaaaaaay better ;)

·
Registered
26,835 Posts
Some of us find unicorns, some of us build them. Matt was lucky, he did both!

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
Some of us find unicorns, some of us build them. Matt was lucky, he did both!
I also parted a w8 6-speed, and I scored a built 400ish hp 1.8t for the unicorn 1.8t 5-speed 4-motion. Once the new engine and 6-speed is in I will get back on the 2.5 swapped w8

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,752 Posts
Missed you guys! Kinda dry around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
yeah....it's funny Dan....I've posted more since that text thread, in this forum, than ANY other forum since I traded my Passat. Kinda nice to get back on the boards...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts