Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was looking around the forums and just stumbled upon some people who have put a glasspack in the place of the resonator. I was thinking about do so and would this be a good idea?? I have a Borla muffler already with the rest of it stock. I was thinking about getting a CherryBomb 22'' with 2.25 inlet/outlet.

-Is this a good buy?
-Will it give me a low rumble like I want, not a bumble bee rumble but maybe a really expensive sports car rumble??
-And will any brand work?

·
Registered
831 Posts
i know thats what a lot of v6ers do to get some sounds cheaply, you have a lot more exhaust options w/ the 1.8, but i haven't read anything about glasspacks on the 1.8 so i can't say what it'll do and how it will sound... I think some have just removed the resonator and replaced w/ straight pipe

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
Please keep in mind that there's a big difference between a 1.8T, or even VW V6, and a '64 Impalla. I've never heard a 1.8T with a glass pack per se, but I have heard other turbocharged 4cyl cars with cherry bombs, and they sound like ass.

·
Registered
773 Posts
yea im really curious as well...i want to do the same things( replace stock resonator with a glasspack). I have a stock muffler..but what im concerned about is not the sound, but whether there will be any low end torque loss. I have experienced this with my old b4 passat vr6, where i replaced the resonator with a straight pipe.

Btw, the sound on my vr6 was pretty sweet..Nice deep rumble not too loud. So im assuming it should be close to that on B5 V6 engines

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Since you have a 1.8T you don't need a glasspack that long...it's really only required if you have a V6 to keep droning at a minimum.

I have 16" GP on my 98 w/ a magnaflow muffler and I couldn't be happier w/ the sound, it's not too loud but it has that nice sound to it when you get on it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
keep in mind you are not limited to cheap ass glasspacks that will rust through in a couple of years, instead you could go to a stainless steel resonator, which would sound nicer, provide same free-flow and last easily until the life of the car. cost of these resonators is about $75 as apposed to $30-$40 for a glasspack.

·
Registered
141 Posts
IMO- straight piped 1.8T's sound the best. for performance, consider a nice resonator, and no muffler.turbo cars only. others are too loud.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A lot of the red paint on my glasspack has peeled away, leaving rusted metal piping exposed. I don't care how it looks underneath though. No leaks as far as I know. I've had it for about a year and half now. I don't expect it to last for more than 5 years, but it's a nice cheap mod (less than $150 altogether) that has satisfied my ears. It still sounds nice and deep, just a little louder now that some of the glasspack has worn out. Relatively speaking though, it's not loud. Pretty much from the moment it's installed it gives an audible but not annoying drone above 50 mph. I kinda like it. There's no fart noise, don't worry about that, just more low notes and maybe a little more noise overall when heard from the outside. It's a cheap mod to consider if you're not ready or not trying to drop the bigger bucks on a real exhaust mod.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had my resonator cut off, replaced with the a straight pipe, then where my muffler was, i got a glasspack to a muffler tip.

Iv received complements from co workers who are only into mustangs and such that it has a really nice rumble to it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aight, I might have to see about a shorter glasspack or maybe that stainless steel resonator. I want something that I don't have to worry about, cheaper than a full supersprint exhaust and that sounds good. So I may research those 2 options. Ill let ya know what I come up with....

·
Registered
696 Posts
before i got my Neuspeed SS exhaust, i already had a magnaflow muffler and the rest stock, i was also going to chop out the center resonator, but i was going to replace it with a magnaflow center resonator that they use in their custom applications (not a glasspack), i think i could have gotten one on ebay for like 85 bucks. anyway check out magnaflow's website, they have sound clips of an A4 with the exhaust, im guessing the center res. replacement would sound similar to that..

http://magnaflow.com/04sound/04sport.asp

·
Registered
537 Posts
i have the centre resonator replaced with a stainless steel resonator from Magnaflow and it sounds really deep without rumbling, it wont change its tone over time like a glasspack, wont rust like a glasspack and wont look cheap on a nice german car when a mechanic lifts the car on a lift and sees that red cherry bomb glasspack on your german passat.

Maybe im pushing it too much and being a little arrogant, i may have been brainwashed by the muffler shop into believing stainless steel free flow resonator s are way better than glasspacks.

if your wondering the resonator i have is pretty short, id say no more than 14".

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
i have the centre resonator replaced with a stainless steel resonator from Magnaflow and it sounds really deep without rumbling, it wont change its tone over time like a glasspack, wont rust like a glasspack and wont look cheap on a nice german car when a mechanic lifts the car on a lift and sees that red cherry bomb glasspack on your german passat.
Or those of us that do the work on our cars won't have that issue :)

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that magnaflow resonator may be the way I go then. I don't want it to look cheap and want a good sound.

Turbo where did you get it and what model??

·
Registered
773 Posts

Maybe im pushing it too much and being a little arrogant, i may have been brainwashed by the muffler shop into believing stainless steel free flow resonator s are way better than glasspacks.

if your wondering the resonator i have is pretty short, id say no more than 14".
do you have a stock muffler??

·
Registered
537 Posts
the muffler shop had it in stock, they suggested i get this instead of my glasspack idea. The part number i dont have, and yes i still have the stock muffler, it sounds really nice, very deep and perfect, no droning at all, and really sporty, if your cruising on at light throttle you dont hear it, and you dont hear it on the highway unless you push the pedal down hard.

i know it was a universal magnaflow resonator
14" long or so
2.25 inch in and out at ends and you could see right through it when looking at it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts