Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change the gear oil in the three differentials in my 03 Passat 4MO Wagon and have a question about the proper lubricant. There are several informative threads on this, but I am having difficulty finding any real cross-references for VW part VWG 052 145 A2 (the 75w90 gear lubricant).

1. I know it should be synthetic
2. I know it should be 75w90
3. I have seen listings for various brands that others have used (Royal Purple, Redline, Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, and others)

I have not seen any documentation on the actual specification for the VW lubricant - is it GL4 or GL5? I looked at a bottle of it at the dealership yesterday and saw no indication of an actual API specification.

Most of the recommendations seem to follow along the lines of:
"this is what I used"
"I have tried this and it caused noise in my differential"
"I have used this and it works better than ever"

My concern is that problems caused by an improper lubricant might not become apparent for some time - and when the problem does present itself, it will most likely be too late to remedy!

So the bottom line question is what is an approved/VW documented alternative - or is there one? I will use the VW lubricant if this is the only positive way to ensure that it is correct. But I am always willing to use a market brand if it is the proper alternative (or possibly a better alternative).

Is this a situation where we just have to take a leap of faith and go with a brand with the hope that it is correct?
My main concern is the protection of any brass items that may be present in the differentials. This is a rare case where reading the previous threads has confused me more than clarified things (this is not a knock at the previous threads at all - I just can't seem to find a consensus on the answer).

I have never had a car that had so many specific lubricant requirements that lack factory documentation (other than their own manufacturer-supplied brand). I wish there were VW-Approved listings (like we have for the motor oils) for these other lubricants.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Rear Axle oil: G 052 145 A SAE 75W-90 (synthetic oil)

Part number for 1 litre bottle = G 052 145 S2

Part number for 0.5 litre bottle = G 052 145 A1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hu vw - but I am familiar with the VW supplied lubricant, just looking for the actual GL specification and approved or confirmed options from the commercial suppliers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bueller, Bueller, anyone................

I guess I will go with the VW/Audi supplied lubricant. Any input on the GL4/GL5 would be helpful to folks in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts