Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

giving up on 2000 Passat GLS, 68,00 miles...can't afford it anymore!

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Five_fiver 
#1 ·
VW said they brought in two out of town mechanics after 5 days, one said, "your car is an electrical nightmare"..starting car with a rumble after new $650 repair for a corroded wire under the drivers seat causing electrical miscommunication, my problem seems to be so common.. VW insisted I get a VW battery, starting up cold iafter the repairs, my car idles like it is dying...drained gas 2 months ago, mechanics said I put bad gas in my car, $650....new wheel bearings $450...Mercedes/Jaguar mechanics had my car for 3 days before VW...said engine is in great shape, no problems with alternator, timing belt...nothing...

#4 ·
well, you have an old car. what did you expect? these things break.

my car is so broken at the moment, my ccm has seizures and flashes the light whenever the doors are open, or an interior light is on.

my friends were so amused by this, one of them started playing hardcore electric music and danced around the car with the doors open.

and yes, i joined in the dancing. i was drunk at the time :lol:

#5 ·
The biggest challenge for me when I first bought my Passat (it was 8 years old when I bought it) was embracing all the little issues that seemed to pop up. An 11 year old car will have issues. With in reason, fix them and you'll probably still end up saving money over buying a different car which could have the same problems.

#6 ·
I have a 2000 as well, with 237,000 miles on it. It's pretty reliable, but I don't get upset when 11-year old parts give out. You may not be a person with the patience for an old German car; but if you decide to keep it:

- Learn to do more of the work yourself
- Learn enough to know when the people who work on your car are feeding you a line.
- Stop taking it to a Mercedes/Jaguar shop.

Just out of curiosity, where are you? IIRC, most of the people I've read here with real problems getting Passats fixed were in California.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.