Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day that the spring (about 8 inches or so long) was loose, so I pulled it off of the floor from under my seat.

Anyone have this happen to them? If so, what does the spring do?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Uh-oh. iirc, that spring regulates the up/down of the ratcheting manual seats.
It happened on my old Passat sedan, but wasn't covered under warranty.
I had a very big guy who used to carpool with me, and I think he caused it....
I just left the passenger seat in the lowest position. :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It should be easy to put back on...unless the little cast aluminum bit that it hooks to broke off like both of them did on my car. :mad: Springs from both seats have since been relegated to my "leftover Passat parts" bin and I haven't missed them...

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
my ratchet still works, but the spring has been relocated to the trunk. :roll: to VW

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
yeah, both my broke too. The little hook snapped off the seat frame. it assists when ratching up the seat when you are sitting on it. Instead, just ratchet up the seat without sitting on it and you won't need the spring.

·
Registered
660 Posts
THAT'S what that spring is for. Mine was laying on the floor and I couldn't figure out where it came from. My seat still ratchets up and down, even with me sitting on it, so the spring is sitting in the garage. Maybe I'll get motivated someday and see if I can repair it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad to see this one answered. Mine came off of the passanger seat shotrly after I purchased the car. In my case the metal clip that it attaches to on one end was also broken so I knew it was not able to be reinstalled. The racheting motion as well as all other adjustments on the seat still works so it has always puzzled me as to what it was for. Glad to see it does not appear to be a serious issue.

Kev

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My seat won't ratchet with me in it, will have to try it before I go to work tomorrow.

My concern is that it'll be a real PITA to reinstall the spring.

The irony is that you avoid getting power seats because they're more prone to break than those with manual adjustments.

:crazy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.