Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my X chip for the passat back in 2003 and wanted to know if there were upgrades made to the programing since then and how much does GIAC charge for the upgrades?

Also I have an upgraded N75 valve so Im not even sure the smoothing software would make any difference.

Those with the same chip as me let me know if you know anything about this.

3. What is N75S or N75 Smoothing?
GIAC offers Smoothing (N75S) technology for some software in response to common surging problems in highly-tuned cars. With N75S modified software, surging issues are eliminated for many cars. On turbo-charged cars running the GIAC X chip, the N75S delivers buttery smooth drivability. The technology prevents large spikes/valleys in N75 pulse width. To our knowledge, GIAC was the first tuner to introduce this technology. N75S is available for 2001 and newer Golf and Jetta chips; but, will soon be available for our broader line of software. Contact your nearest GIAC dealer for sales and information.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
As far as I know, the place that you bought the chip should upgrade it for you. That's what they did for me. Sent in my old chip and they sent me a new one. I was going to ask them in the morning about that N75 smoothing... But I have an AEB engine so I don't know if they have it for me yet - or if it applies to my chip [I don't have the X chip].

Short answer: They should update it for you.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Dynospot racing in California (im in Miami) and the guy I spoke to was not sure if there were upgrades avalable. He also said they dont do chips anymore. Now they flash the ECU. I really dont like the idea of the ECU being flashed and I rather have a physical chip.

Should I call other GIAC dealers? But they wont honor my old install and might charge me the full price.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
All GIAC software products may be upgraded to the most current version for a fee plus shipping. Upgrades are only available through your authorized dealer. The GIAC dealer that made the original sale is well-equipped to quickly handle upgrades. Upgrades will only by granted upon the receipt by GIAC, of the original chip and socket (if applicable). Programs can only be updated to their own, current files released by GIAC. Contact your GIAC dealer for additional upgrade information.

If a chip is purchased "second-hand", the new owner must contact the dealer that originally sold the chip for upgrade support.

Upgrade service will be refused if the original sale can not be tracked or proven via receipt of purchase from an authorized GIAC dealer. GIAC reserves the right to modify this upgrade policy at any time.
9. How do I find out about new versions or upgrades of GIAC products?

GIAC reserves the right to revisit and modify any of its products as new developments are made at our research facility in the interest of insuring the superiority of our software programs. This web site is the most up-to-date resource for current GIAC products. The software product pages are automatically updated as new programs are released to our dealer network. If you do not see your car listed on one of these pages feel free to write us at [email protected].
I would contact GIAC directly and see if they would perform the upgrade or see if they would recommend another dealer based on what your original dealer stated...

I agree, I rather have a chip. Saved my butt once, being able to go back to stock. Something weird was happening, traced the problem to the ECU. Replaced my chip with the stock chip and the car started right up. Real proble was I was over 500 miles from home and 200 or more miles from the nearest dealership.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
There are probably no updates for your application.

With the exception of a couple transverse applications, all GIAC files are written with stock N75's. They make it very clear that they recommend using the stock valves only and when we switch them out, it may or may not create better performance, real or measured by the butt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts