Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these installed?

I was thinking about getting it and was quoted $300 for the chip and $50 to install.

Do these prices sound accurate?
What did other people pay?

Overall satisfaction with the chip?

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have both the Giac chips in my 4 motion V6.

I'm not sure about the pricing in the USA

The tip chip is awesome as it takes away the lazy shifting problem

Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the chip worth the $$?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
x said:
Does it change the shifting in auto mode?
No... for that you need a Vag-Com and you need to enable sport shifting. Also there is an old style of kickdown operation that makes the kickdown non opperational during use of the Tiptronic (how it should be). Search "Sport Mode" in the forums for more information. I think it may even be on the information forum.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yes, the tip chip changes the automatic mode also. It shifts higher, around 4 or 5 if you STEP on it....Its well worth it, and if I memory serves me correct, this is the way the tranny chip is designed in Europe so it will be ok on the tranny. Its just brought down a notch to US standards...Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My UK Spec W8 changes up at the redline in both Automatic and Tiptronic modes.

Also the dealer had already enabled something like 'sport mode' when I bought the car...it downshifts whenever you give it a little gas...but there's the annoying wait for the stock gearbox chip to make the change before you are catapaulted forward.

I've tried recoding the gearbox to stop it automatically changing gear in Tip mode to no avail...whatever code I've put in to it it's still making automatic up and down shifts when the limits are reached.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The tip chip will stop kickdown in tip mode. I also played around with the trany soft code but I didn't notice anything so I assume it doesn't work with the tip chip installed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got the tip chip 18 months ago. It improves both auto and tip mode dramatically. Without this modification, I probably would have sold my B5 and gone to a vehicle with manual transmission.

In my opinion, this is the way tiptronic should operate from the factory.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Anyone have an idea of where to get the tip chip in the West Valley? I suppose if it was anywhere within an hour drive of LA that would be fine. How long does the install take?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Does this void your transmission warantee or just the TCU warantee? I love the idea but I am very wary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
tipchip and horsepower

I thought I read somewhere that the tipchip also effectively raises the amount of horsepower the Tiptronic can handle... does anyone know if that is accurate?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts