Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
so running the FPR at 3.0 gives best results??

Do you keep it there, or dial it back down too 2.7-2.8 for any reasons??
The file was written for 3 bar but most people run it at 2.7 bar to get the fuel trims lower because they are afraid it's running rich. They are wrong :cool:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are these considered good, what block do you log to get these, sorry if this is off topic.
On an AEB it's block 032. On a stock (not chipped or bigger turbo) car + or - 10 is acceptable. I had to make a point of this because because too many people are running their cars at 2.7 bar because their fuel trims are higher than -10 and they think their cars are running rich :crazy:

Oh yeah, you can check these with the car off, just the key on.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Taken directly from Giacusa site.

GIAC performance software for the 2005 - 2001 Passat® with K04-15 tubo upgrade

Required Hardware:

380 cc injectors (real S3/225TT 380 or Deka 1 Siemens 380, Genesis 380)
225 TT 3inch OD MAF with real TT sensor not golf jetta (Part number: 06A906461EX)
Upgraded intercooler with less than 2 psi boost drop and IATs less than 50 deg. C. sustained.
K04-1 or E05 turbo
F - N75 valve works best
Intake: long tube CAIs or stock air boxes, or short if velocity stacked properly.
Green Coolant temp sensor.

If the PC 16 file (made for A4's) requires 315cc injectors can we assume that the file specifically for our passats is different as it requires 380cc injectors?
What you quoted is the J31 file for the 01 (maybe 00, can't remember exactly) Audi A4

On an AEB it's block 032. On a stock (not chipped or bigger turbo) car + or - 10 is acceptable. I had to make a point of this because because too many people are running their cars at 2.7 bar because their fuel trims are higher than -10 and they think their cars are running rich :crazy:

Oh yeah, you can check these with the car off, just the key on.
Yea, people freak out when they see +- over 10% on that block...what they don't realize is, that those numbers indicate how much your ECU is compensating to get things back to normal, it doesn't mean you're running rich or lean, it means that your ECU is working that much in either direction to keep you from running rich or lean.

And AFAIK when you get to 20% is when you get a CEL because your ECU can't compensate for anything that far.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
What you quoted is the J31 file for the 01 (maybe 00, can't remember exactly) Audi A4

Yea, people freak out when they see +- over 10% on that block...what they don't realize is, that those numbers indicate how much your ECU is compensating to get things back to normal, it doesn't mean you're running rich or lean, it means that your ECU is working that much in either direction to keep you from running rich or lean.

And AFAIK when you get to 20% is when you get a CEL because your ECU can't compensate for anything that far.
The block of info quoted is not J31 info, it's the newer "hammer" file info for the ecus after the '00 J31 file. The J31 file and later years are not compatible because the eprom is not compatible, 2x the storage size in the later ecus.

On the fuel trims, it's not a matter of freaking out or not, it's just that the trims are set during all your regular driving conditions and things are running just fine based on that trim, say -10%. Then you go WOT and the maps call for x fuel and you get 90% of x. This may not be good under WOT. Just because the ecu maps tended toward rich in normal driving, doesn't mean you're still rich by the same amount WOT. You want the car to run as close to the program maps as possible under WOT and it wasn't programmed to run -10%. The rest of the time I'd agree the trims can adjust for just about anything.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Boy, it's been awhile but I beleive when I upped the Fuel pressure, the motor reacted a bit sluggish. I have my at about 28psi at idle. Maybe I should fiddle with this again...
With 20 cmHg vacuum that's around 32 PSI (2.2 bar) with the vac. line off. What injectors are you running with that low pressure? If you alter the fuel pressure I'd clear codes as well to clear the fuel trims and have them relearned.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
With 20 cmHg vacuum that's around 32 PSI (2.2 bar) with the vac. line off. What injectors are you running with that low pressure? If you alter the fuel pressure I'd clear codes as well to clear the fuel trims and have them relearned.
20 in hg vacuum is about 10 psi, so 38psi base fuel pressure, right? When I tried the 380cc Siemens injectors, they got a little iffy at idle much below 3 bar base pressure. I upped the idle speed a few hundred rpm with Lemmiwinks to smooth it out, but it still wasn't ideal.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
20 in hg vacuum is about 10 psi, so 38psi base fuel pressure, right? When I tried the 380cc Siemens injectors, they got a little iffy at idle much below 3 bar base pressure. I upped the idle speed a few hundred rpm with Lemmiwinks to smooth it out, but it still wasn't ideal.
:banghead: converted cmHG to PSI instead of inHG, thanks for the correction

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Man I'm getting old. et's see how much I can remember....

I'm using the BOSCH 310 "red top" injectors with the 4 orifice pintel design. I had Siemens and it bogged off the line even though they too were rated a 300. In any case, at a full 3 bar or 44 PSI, I was bogging off the line. We (Dynospot Racing) tuned everything from the standpoint of A/F mixutre and at 29psi idle up to 44 or whatever I hit at full boost. This is an AEB motor and the PC-16 program specific to the K04 w/310 injectors. We were pulilng VAG Com charts and emailing it to GIAC and Dick Chiang at Dynospot was on the Cell with them as well; sometimes with Garrett directly. After 4 hours of dynoing (I got a bargin on this one; about 5 or 6 pulls for just $80) we concluded we could not get more torque and HP from the car as is. IAT's would continue to climb and pull timing and boost back to prevent detonation. At that time (is it 3 or 4 years ago), there was no solution except get a 2001 I suppose. :(

That's where my latest project came into play. But I always like to keep my fingers in this project as well to see if I had any chance of getting this thing to work the way it's suppose to.

give me a recipe we know works and I'll give it a shot this summer!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Well, this scan will have to do:
I can't find the actual document right now.

What I meant was, the FMIC didn't have the leaks my first FMIC had (it had 4). On a 104 deg. day, I suffer no loss in off the line power in traffic as I used to with my SMIC. However, IAT's were all pointing to rising temps (I don't have the spreadsheet readily available; might be in my 5 year old laptop which hasn't been powered on for quite a while.).

I believe I well exceeded 50c (122 F); iirc, it was in the 130-140F! But to maintain the A/F graph you see above, this was the best it could muster without bogging off the line.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If you get a better intercooler you'll be where you want to be. With the PC-16 and a stock intercooler you can easily get IATs over 70C so any intercooler is an upgrade. Yours just isn't quite good enough for the finicky PC-16 setup.

Did GIAC have this up when you were tinkering? Scroll to #10
http://www.giacusa.com/faq.php

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Here's the rub, while I don't recall ever reading #10 a few years back, I have everything else but does the FMIC really work as needed? I mean I did everytying from replacing the IAT sensor, to using the phenoic spacer on the intake manifold, reflective shielding on the intake hose to the TB (ala Chas), and of course, getting the 2nd intercooler w/o leaks. But always in the back of my mind, I wondered if the Z-Flow FMIC that was highly touted on Audiworld.com was everything it was cracked up to be. For one of the last 2 years, I was toying with either going all out and getting the APR's or try one that is known to work with DATA to back it up. Z-flow (now I can't remember the company name) never produced numbers. It's too bad some rag didn't do a FMIC shoot out. It would resolve a lot of issues... :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
i have 2000 b5 passat with k04 ... p-16 file does not work with the car ... i am on stock injectors and stock smic car spikes between 22-25psi then drops to 20 then by red line holding solid at 15-17 psi
5 bar fpr (obviously not all 5 bars used)
cone filter on intake
downpipe back
GIAC X+ programing (i wanna say its the X+ program ??? dont quote me)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts