Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Congrats Chris

But I have a question about BOV's. Other then the "shhhhhh" sound they make, what is the purpose of these on turbo cars? I mean why dont they put on BOV's from the factory if they do the car good? Pardon my lack of knowledge with turbo cars, but I want to know.

Thanks to whoever answers my questions

Rich :)

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,310 Posts
That's it brotha! All you get is the sound. Some threads say that these BOV's even cause CEL's, but I've never seen it personally. A DV is better to recirculate the air for the turbo, but with a BOV, the sound is all you get.....based on what I've read from several other guys back in the discussion about the difference between Bailey, Forge and a few others.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Glad to hear it works and sounds cool, did you get it off Ebay?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble :) ... but if you run your hybrid in BOV mode than you will eventually run rich. our cars are designed to recirculate air back, thats why our cars came with Diverter Valves. while the BOV dumps air to the atmosphere and makes the cool noise, your ecu thinks that the air is still there, disturbing the air/fuel ration, retarding the timing and you will run rich :( (causing a CEL in some occasions) probably wont happen immediately ... but over time

yes I know ... sad but true :( ... I would recommend that you run the hybrid in closest DV mode possible (if you still looking for the sound)

:thumbup: ... I wish there was some a good intake for our cars, cause I think that open air intake + good DV sounds way better than a BOV, i really love the sound of a TurboXS H25 on Jettas or GTIs with CAI ... sounds great :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
slimebucket said:
Congrats Chris

But I have a question about BOV's. Other then the "shhhhhh" sound they make, what is the purpose of these on turbo cars? I mean why dont they put on BOV's from the factory if they do the car good? Pardon my lack of knowledge with turbo cars, but I want to know.

Thanks to whoever answers my questions

Rich :)
purpose of a DV or a BOV is to hold boost pressure that turbo makes, so you get more power ... and also to let the excess boost go when you take your foot off the accelerator

car makers don't make them loud for many reasons. most manufactures like to keep the car noise to a minimum, especially when it comes to a passat :) because older people and soccer moms feel intimidated by a sporty sound of an engine, and car doesn't sell too good.

the stock DV has a potential to make big noise, but the air box is designed to keep the noise down

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
The hybrid does recirculate air and at the same time act as a blow off valve. It is half and half so you will not have any problems with the engine hince the HYBRID in the name. I have one but it is defective, the plunger doesn't sit all the way down. I could put it in but I am affraid I will lose boost. I have been waiting on a new one from New Deminsions for over 2 months :nervous:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
damn, good stuff.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
SausageRocket said:
purpose of a DV or a BOV is to hold boost pressure that turbo makes, so you get more power ... and also to let the excess boost go when you take your foot off the accelerator
Uh...no. The purpose of a DV or BOV is not to hold boost pressure...and no, it does not give you more power. It does however, reroute excess boost when you let your foot off the accelerator, but this is the only thing it does. When you let your foot off the accelerator, your throttle plate quickly closes, but you still are pushing 10-15psi. That air slams into your throttle plate and pushes back against your turbo, potentially causing damage over time. The diverter/bov opens when the increase pressure is caused by the closing of your throttle plate and vents the air so that it doesn't route back into the turbo.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
VDUBRACER187, keep an eye on your spark plugs after a few thousand miles. I suspect that you will be running rich if you vent any air to the atmosphere. If you have a vagcom, log your O2 sensors/lambda. I'm curious to see what kind of readings you get with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.