Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...My GF has a 2002 VW Jetta thats fully loaded. Her lease is up in a few months and she needs to get another car. The problem is she doesnt want to lease, but wants to keep her payments low since she is still is in school.

Here is the problem...I want her to get something "comperable" to the Jetta she is giving back, but myself, I cant drive nothing thats not euro but to her, a car is just transportation. :(

What are some of your guys suggestions on a replacement for the Jetta. She likes passats (B5.5 and up) but she wants to keep her payments around $300 USD or less per month...I told her to just lease again, but she thinks it a waste of money...

TIA!
Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Darin45 said:
to her, a car is just transportation.
How about: Anything but a VW? :D

Pontiac Vibes are practically being given away on lease right now, and that's a pretty decent, practical car that shares a lot with Toyota. Or how about a Mazda3 or something like that? I know most young women are really all about how the car looks, no matter what they're willing to tell you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh...and if she gets a Senta or something whacky like that, I will KILL myself! hahahaha :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
She cou7ld buy her car now that it's at the end of the lease, the payments would be pretty low, since it is in effect buying a used car, but this way it's exactly comparable and she knows the history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wheresjim said:
She cou7ld buy her car now that it's at the end of the lease, the payments would be pretty low, since it is in effect buying a used car, but this way it's exactly comparable and she knows the history.
Yes this is an option but its pisses her off that she leased the car for awhile the have to refi the car at the end for like another 3 years or so. So in the end she will be paying for the car for 7-8 years on the same car. I think she wants to get out of that car for that very reason...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Darin45 said:
Yes this is an option but its pisses her off that she leased the car for awhile the have to refi the car at the end for like another 3 years or so. So in the end she will be paying for the car for 7-8 years on the same car. I think she wants to get out of that car for that very reason...
But getting into something else will probably be the far worse decision, assuming the Jetta hasn't been much a hassle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
While you may be able to buy an American-brand vehicle right now at killer prices their values essentially plummet once off the lot. All vehicles depreciate but some of these cars are just dropping off cliffs. Take a Ford Focus for example. Pretty damn solid piece of transportation. But imagine what it is worth after two years. Nobody would go out and buy a used one when new ones can be had for under 10k.

The point is, if you are going to buy an American vehicle make sure you plan on keeping it for a while.
 

·
watchout, he'll put Viagra in your M&Ms
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
She can get a nice car for 300/mo or less if she goes with a CPO car; If it were my money, I'd look for a CPO Toyota Matrix XR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Medrosje said:
While you may be able to buy an American-brand vehicle right now at killer prices their values essentially plummet once off the lot. All vehicles depreciate but some of these cars are just dropping off cliffs. Take a Ford Focus for example. Pretty damn solid piece of transportation. But imagine what it is worth after two years. Nobody would go out and buy a used one when new ones can be had for under 10k.

The point is, if you are going to buy an American vehicle make sure you plan on keeping it for a while.
No kidding...I had a 2005 Chevy trailblazer when they were doing GM employee pricing. Well Gas $$ went up and I was spending 75 per tank on that truck and it was only getting 300miles to a tank! So I traded it in with only 3500 miles on the clock and that 32K truck was only worth 12k trade in!! and it was only 3months old!!! I waws pissed...but what could I do? the GM pricing KILLED the market! Only American car/truck that holds its value is a Caddy Escalade!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
If you traded in a truck you paid 32k for and only got 12k then you shouldn't be helping ANYBODY out when negotiating car purchases. I'm pretty sure you left out some numbers but that's all the data I have to go off of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,407 Posts
I agree with others, it seems like she is look for reliable transportation.

I would include a:

Pontiac Vibe
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Camry (You could probably get a very good deal on a 2006 since the 2007's just came out)
Honda Civic (if you like the styling)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rabbit said:
She can get a nice car for 300/mo or less if she goes with a CPO car; If it were my money, I'd look for a CPO Toyota Matrix XR.
Are those things selling good? for some reason I thought they were not doing that good on the market and that they would discontinue it soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Medrosje said:
If you traded in a truck you paid 32k for and only got 12k then you shouldn't be helping ANYBODY out when negotiating car purchases. I'm pretty sure you left out some numbers but that's all the data I have to go off of.
LOL...... No kidding. Anyone who trades a BRAND NEW SPANKING car with less than 5K miles on it just because gas is too expensive, shouldn't be helping someone buy a car.

For about $300 a month she is looking at borrowing $15K for 5 years. I bought my Passat two years ago for $15,500 (5.8%) for 60 months and my payment is $301/month.

If she is in school, I'd tell her to get a nice used Saturn or a Honda Civic for under $8K. Cheaper to insure and can use the extra money saved on more important things :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Medrosje said:
If you traded in a truck you paid 32k for and only got 12k then you shouldn't be helping ANYBODY out when negotiating car purchases. I'm pretty sure you left out some numbers but that's all the data I have to go off of.

Hahaha!!! I sure did leave some numbers out! I also left out that I gave them a swift kick in the ass once they told me that! :)
I finally found a dealer that gave me top dollar for the Trailblazer! I actually got the TB for 24K but sticker was 32k after discount pricing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,407 Posts
Medrosje said:
If you traded in a truck you paid 32k for and only got 12k then you shouldn't be helping ANYBODY out when negotiating car purchases. I'm pretty sure you left out some numbers but that's all the data I have to go off of.
I have to agree with Medrosje. I understand that Gas is expensive, but look at the numbers.

$75 fill up, figure you drive 300 miles a week, and need to fill up every week.

$75 a week X 52 weeks = $3900 a year spent in gas

(which is an increase of $1300 compared to $2.00 a gallon gas)

And for that you took a $20,000 loss on the truck....:confused:

::edit:: the above was posted, while I was posting...

Still a $12,000 loss?
 

·
watchout, he'll put Viagra in your M&Ms
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
Darin45 said:
Are those things selling good? for some reason I thought they were not doing that good on the market and that they would discontinue it soon.
I don't know how well they're selling (nor why that matters), but it's a reliable car with some poop, and you can probably get one for $12-14K. Depending on what you put down, and how long you finance, payment would be reasonable (in the 250-325/mo range on a 5yr note).
 

·
The "Odd" one
Joined
·
6,066 Posts
Would she consider used? Plus I would also consider purchasing her current Jetta since you know the track record since new. If she hasnt had a lot of issues with it, I would highly consider going that route. Plus...300 bucks a month with how much down? 0 down for 5 years is only about a 15K car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
theericharris said:
LOL...... No kidding. Anyone who trades a BRAND NEW SPANKING car with less than 5K miles on it just because gas is too expensive, shouldn't be helping someone buy a car.
Hahaha! well your right but when you spend about 150 per week in gas PLUS car payemets that adds up REAL quick! Plus the fact that I'm a student studing pharmacy, that was just too damn much! gas prices werent that bad when I bought the truck, but skyrocketed like weeks after. I actully got close to what I paid for it when I traded it in on the Mini Cooper, which was nice cuz it got 420 mile to the 13 gallan tank, a big differnce than 300 miles I was getting in the TBlazer. I'm not that dumb to roll 15K in negative equity into another car! :) I've bought 11 cars in my life and I would hang myself if I even thought about doing something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rabbit said:
I don't know how well they're selling (nor why that matters)
well i would prefer for her not to get a car that is on its way out or not have a good market. That makes a differnce when/ if she decides to sell the car and cant get squat for it when trying to sell/ trade it. I think she should get a used car vs. new because she has a limited budget and that she doesnt want to lease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
Wait for the VW Rabbit to come out. They say its suppose to be cheap.

Im looking at that to replace my sister's Mazda 3
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top