Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered that CLR will remove those annoying, ugly yellow stains on your alloy rims.

Viva la difference!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures please.....or it didn't happen:poke:

I want to see the difference;)
Sadly I didn't do any before and afters. :( But my rims were surprisingly yellowed. Like there were big yellow stains where the spokes converged to the rims (on my RS4s) but all the spokes had a yellow film on them. Almost like a nicotine stain.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,889 Posts
Yellow? I've never had yellow stains on my wheels before. Pitting and clearcoat peel yes, but yellow? Never. What causes this?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yellow? I've never had yellow stains on my wheels before. Pitting and clearcoat peel yes, but yellow? Never. What causes this?
Dogs.. (face palm).... LOL

Newman, you don't live in a climate where they use road salt. I'm guessing that's the major culprit. I see lots of cars with yellowing alloys up in the great white north. When I only used my RS4s in the summer, they didn't yellow. I have used them two seasons through the winter (and therefore snow, salt, sand, grime and general guck) and they yellowed.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,889 Posts
:lol:

Dogs.. (face palm).... LOL

Newman, you don't live in a climate where they use road salt. I'm guessing that's the major culprit. I see lots of cars with yellowing alloys up in the great white north. When I only used my RS4s in the summer, they didn't yellow. I have used them two seasons through the winter (and therefore snow, salt, sand, grime and general guck) and they yellowed.
Ahh, I see. When you guys use the term "yellow" I am assuming you are referring to discoloration in the clear coat and not the actual metal/aluminum?

·
Self inflicted facepalm
1,445 Posts
Iron from brake dust and snow plow blades collect and oxidize. I drive a lot on salted wintry roads and my wheels got almost bronze looking. They did clean right up. Salt may play a roll, I'm not a chemist so I would have to take someones word on it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iron from brake dust and snow plow blades collect and oxidize. I drive a lot on salted wintry roads and my wheels got almost bronze looking. They did clean right up. Salt may play a roll, I'm not a chemist so I would have to take someones word on it.
I was just guessing about the salt. I use ceramic brake pads so maybe iron from the brake disks?

Regardless, I reviewed my rims and I missed a few spots. I'll take some before and after pix and post them up later today or tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts