Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Literally just joined. I learn a lot from forums but never needed to actually join one to figure a problem out. Sorry if I post this in the wrong area or it’s been answered or something. I drove my 99 Passat (148k) to and from Colorado the other day (roughly 1000 miles). I got back to KS and my car was fine. I parked it, and went to go get food for my daughter and I made it about 1.5 miles and it started running rough at the light then threw the p0302 code. I keep a OBD reader in my car that connects to my phone and run it find the code and take it home and park it. The next day I change all spark plugs (they were the original plugs) I then changed then coil for cylinder #2, the car stopped wanting to start. I got a new ICM last night. Tossed it on and it finally started it sounds and feels smoother but you can still tell it’s not right. Then it threw the code again. I didn’t use Dielectric grease or thermal paste yet, and didn’t reset the computer yet. It was late and when I get off work today I’ll do it properly. Other than looking at my injectors is there anything else I could be missing?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Which engine, 1.8T or V6? And drive by cable or drive by wire, since you're on the cusp?

I'm guessing 1.8T drive-by-cable since you changed a coil and ICM.

If 1.8T, the usual diagnostic procedure is to swap coils between two cylinders and see if the misfire moves. If you have VCDS available, monitor the misfire counts in ECM measuring blocks and you'll know in seconds. Many of the aftermarket coils are terrible, so moving coils around can be more reliable than installing a new one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which engine, 1.8T or V6? And drive by cable or drive by wire, since you're on the cusp?

I'm guessing 1.8T drive-by-cable since you changed a coil and ICM.

If 1.8T, the usual diagnostic procedure is to swap coils between two cylinders and see if the misfire moves. If you have VCDS available, monitor the misfire counts in ECM measuring blocks and you'll know in seconds. Many of the aftermarket coils are terrible, so moving coils around can be more reliable than installing a new one.
Thanks for the response, turns out I’m an idiot and should’ve just waited til I could see and had finally slept to do it. Turns out I had left the #2 coil unplugged. 🤦‍♂️ She’s running smooth now. New ICM did it. Sorry to waste your time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first VW. Lol I’ve only had it for about 2 months, I’m learning a lot about VW thru this car. I plan to keep up with my heat sink compound too. BUT I will for sure toss one in the tool bag after reading thru this forum and seeing how much of an issue it really is.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Smart 98-99 owners keep a spare ICM in the car.
The really smart owners swapped out the ICM system for the later coil design.

Reactions: Cfahey00

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,455 Posts
It bypasses the ICM and converts the plugs to the new style coil packs. Either AWM 1.8T coils or the newer 2.0T FSI coils.
surprisingly cheap on ebay for some reason. I have no idea of the quality. Audi 2.0T FSI Coil Conversion Harness + ICM Delete - (97-99.5 1.8T) B5 A4 USA | eBay
The OG makers of these delete kits still sell them for over $250.
If you decide to do it, I have 2.0 coil adapters and coils I could sell you.

Reactions: Cfahey00

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll definitely look into it more! I have a few other things to tackle first tho. She was a neglected car lol hell when I got it they gave me a receipt for the last oil change. They used 5w-30 and an undersized filter. Lol 🙄

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,129 Posts
I’ll definitely look into it more! I have a few other things to tackle first tho. She was a neglected car lol hell when I got it they gave me a receipt for the last oil change. They used 5w-30 and an undersized filter. Lol 🙄
Uh, oh.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My response was a little more colorful and descriptive about their intelligence lol it was done at a meineke so Idk what’s going on there but I don’t think they know what they’re doing.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,129 Posts
I don't know how much research you did before buying a 1.8T Passat; but look at "oil sludge" here for an eyeful. One thing you absolutely don't want to do with these cars is fail to follow the exact oil and filter recommendations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know how much research you did before buying a 1.8T Passat; but look at "oil sludge" here for an eyeful. One thing you absolutely don't want to do with these cars is fail to follow the exact oil and filter recommendations.
So I did some vin history research and found out up until 84k the car was serviced at Tacoma VW and even had and oil system flush around 61k. It was actually fairly well taken care of for the first 84k or so lol but from 84k- 130k is blank then it went to Bremerton WA and was serviced at Meineke which they used a full synthetic 5w30 and the undersized filter. I got it with about 142k so I think she was oil given the 5w30 a few times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts