Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 Stingray Corvette. It has been sitting a fairly long time and I haven't been able to start it in a long time. I doubt the motor will run and the interior has been home to many a critter.

No, it's not stock and it is an automatic.

I have had it in and out of the garage the past 6 years and I finally had to put it outside due to needing the storage space. The paint has bubbled and is not in good shape. It certainly needs a over haul. It would be a project car for anyone interested and would require virtually a complete restoration. I am hopeful the frame isn't rusted. The body is in good shape. There is no fiberglass damage, but the chrome bumpers are pretty rusty.

Basically, anyone buying it would probably only be able to use the body and hopefully be able to save the frame. I doubt the motor, brakes, suspension, etc......will be in working order.

This was my ex bf's idea to get this car when I was about 18. It was always a problem to keep running and required constant care. It was a hobby at the time and when we broke up, I lost interest in the up keep and after it wouldn't start anymore, I never had the cash to have it looked at and fixed.

I called my mechanic on my way home from work yesterday to see if he still wanted to buy it. He came yesterday and looked at it. I'm pretty sure he will bring a flatbed to haul it to his place to check it over and possibly make an offer. I'm just not sure what it's worth. I trust him (to a point) to be honest in letting me know it's true condition and I am not looking to make a lot, but I don't want to give it away either.

If anyone can tell me what it might be worth, I would appreciate it. :bow:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
do you have pictures? interior and exterior? engine bay?

whats the mileage?

how long since its been started...? if all of the engine fluids have since caked up inside than the engine would need to be rebuilt and new seals put in...

it depends the overall condition is.. but i'd say at your first description possibly a few thousand due to it sounding like a major overhal.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
JROO-VW said:

whats the mileage?

how long since its been started...? if all of the engine fluids have since caked up inside than the engine would need to be rebuilt and new seals put in...

it depends the overall condition is.. but i'd say at your first description possibly a few thousand due to it sounding like a major overhal.
What engine is in that Vette? Is it original - matching numbers, etc. do you know? Is the frame straight? I would make sure you know what you have before you sell it.

Here's some information from the day:

(from http://www.netvettes.com/1972.html)

# ENGINE-

* Type- 350 cubic inch V-8, 454 cubic inch V-8 optional
* Horsepower (net)- [email protected] standard, LT1- 255, LS5- 270
* Compression Ratio- 8.5 to 1
* Carburetor- four barrel

# TRANSMISSION- Buyers choice of automatic (no cost with base
engine, $97 with optional motors) and close or wide ratio 4 speed manual
# SHIPPING WEIGHT- 3215 lbs (coupe) 3217 (convertible)
# PRODUCTION TOTAL- 26,994 (20,486 coupes) (6508 convertibles)
# FACTORY PRICE- $5472 (coupe) $5246 (convertible)
# CHASSIS DIMENSIONS

* Wheelbase- 98 inches
* Overall length- 182.5 inches
* Front tread- 58.7 inches
* Rear tread- 59.4 inches
* Tires- F70X15

# 1972 CORVETTE OPTIONS

* 255 horsepower LT1 ($483.45)
* 270 horsepower LS5 454 cubic inch big block ($294.90)
* ZR1 package ($1010.05)
* Heavy duty battery ($15.80)
* Power brakes ($47.40)
* Power steering ($115.90)
* Air conditioning ($464.50)
* Detachable hardtop ($273.85) vinyl covering for hardtop ($158)
* AM/FM radio ($178) AM/FM stereo ($283)
* Telescoping steering wheel ($84.30)
* Whitewall tires ($30.35) White letter tires ($42.65)
* Custom interior ($158)
* Custom deluxe shoulder belts ($26.35)
* Rear window defroster ($42)
* Power windows ($85.35)

# HISTORICAL FOOTNOTES- The 1972 Corvette was basically the same as the 1971. Among the standard equipment were: a posi-traction rear axle, outside rearview mirror, tinted glass, flo-thru ventilation system, front and read disc brakes, electric clock, wheel trim rings, vinyl upholstery and anti-theft alarm system. Ten exterior color choices were offered. The convertible top could be ordered in only white or black. Over 1/3 came with power windows, 46.1% had the 4 speed, 88.1% had power steering, 63.8% had A/C, 48.1% had tilt/tele and only 1% had the LT-1 engine.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JROO-VW said:

whats the mileage?

No pictures at the moment. Mileage is unkonwn because the engine was put in right before I bought it. Probably around 50-70k on the car.

I would say it's been at least 6 years sine it was started :cry:

It's a shame I know :oops: I just didn't have the time/money to care for it. It sat for a while and I had a few people interested. No one ever came to the house to look at it until yesterday.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
yow... 6 years ... yeah it would be cheaper to dump a new engine in there.

I'm afraid with the description you gave its not going to be worth much... unless as mentioned above the body is straight and not rusted.

As long as the frame is straight... everything else can be sourced by enthusiast companyies over in cali.

(oh that poor vette... :sad: )

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
JROO-VW said:
(oh that poor vette... :sad: )
Seconded. :( Even my wife's grandfather's 1964 Stingray, which has sat in a barn for many years, still looks pretty good and runs. Needs a nice detail and a tune-up, but that's pretty much it. That one probably had some damage early in its life, and was never able to recover. :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
idale
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing