Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the nylon cord of the Conti Contact ( LR tire), just about bald on the Sumitomo HTR-Z II (RR tire) and the Kuhmo's up front ( both tires) are at the wear bars. Yeah, I got a set of mutts for tires!!!! :lol:

In the past I've had:

Bridgestone RE730's: had some of the best handling for the price back in 99'. But got hella noisy by the end of their lives.

Yokohama ES100's: good all-weather type handling and quiet throughout but these wore out rather quickly due to the K-Mac Camber settings being so off.

Sumitomo HTR-ZII's, cheap but wore pretty well for awhile. I side-puncutred the LR tire, thus the Conti because it was used and it was only $45. I raced this at the ND show back in 2001 and it actually handled well for what it was. The guy who was just as fast in a similar Passat had Dunlop 9000's so I'm not sure what that says about the tires or the drivers but I took 2nd and he never placed. :)

The current setup was bought simply out of economics; I was unemployed at the time and needed a cheap and long lasting tire. The front's have lasted 10,000 miles now; I can run them for the rest of the summer assuming no rain but the rear is getting kinda scary now! :) :nervous:

I've always wanted to try the Bridgestone S03's but what else is out there? Money is better this time but I'm not getting like BFG KDW's or something totally outrageous. But I want a nice handling tire that isn't too noisy. I haven't had a chance to cruise the Tire Rack site yet so here's your chance to chime in.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
They are THE ONLY thing between yours 3300+ lbs car and tarmac, do not save on them and think twice before shellin' out money. Personaly, I am running Michelin Pilot Sport, only drawback is noise.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nenad said:
HermanH said:
So far Toyo's 3, Falken 1, Michelin 1, Yoko's 1

3300+??? Nah, more like 3190. :)
With you inside and full fuel tank?
Hehe, nope. Forgot I added 50 lbs. in wider rims/tires, my 160lbs., so yeah, you're correct! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wanted a softer ride with a new baby and my Sumi HTR+'s were about done so I tried out the Yoko Avid H4S. Very nice ride, quiet w/ good grip and a bit softer than the Z/W rated. The H4S's are only available in 235 but the V4S is available in 225. I loved the old Sumitomo's and got about 40K out of them but wanted something good in the rain (moved to Portland) with a comfortable ride, all while still keeping the sporty look. The fact that they are rated for 60K was another nice plus :thumbup:

Chris

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Toyos have come down significantly in price over the past year...down to where it might may its way on to the considerable list.

What size are you buying for?

If you're lookin' for a Bridgestone S-03-like tire, check the Kumho MX. Nothin' but good reviews across the board, with less weight than the S-03. Or if you're crazy...get the Falken Azenis ($105 each for 225/45/17 + shipping). Incredibly cheap for its performance level, and they'll provide the best steering response you've ever felt from a street tire, with a ton of grip. They weigh in at about the S-03 weight, life is around 10k, and the tire dislikes puddles towards the end of its life. :p

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Warped said:
Nenad said:
They are THE ONLY thing between yours 3300+ lbs car and tarmac, do not save on them and think twice before shellin' out money. Personaly, I am running Michelin Pilot Sport, only drawback is noise.
And Price :(
You won't beleive me if I say you that 225/45/17 Pilot Sport in Russia cost generaly 300 USD. So, I am in position to envy your prices.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes, 225/45/17's are the size I need.

Michelin Pilots, Pirelli P-Zero's and such are way out of my range. I'm trying to keep it to $100-$150 mounted per wheel. I intend to take the tires directly to the tire place to be mounted and balanced; it'll give me a chance to paint the calipers at home. :) I don't trust anyone really mounting my wheels on to my car, torque wrench or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.